iPhone 6 and 6 Plus Review Thread

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by Napoleon PhoneApart, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

#1 Napoleon PhoneApart, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

#3 chris, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

5. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

6. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Pogue's video review features both models strapped to a bicycle, while he shoots video. The optical image stabilizer on the iPhone 6 Plus really shines. Although, why not compare to the 6?

Screen Shot 2014-09-16 at 9.30.02 PM.png

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'm kinda bummed that the iPhone 6 doesn't have optical image stabilization. The iPhone 6 Plus is just too much phone for me.

8. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Here's what Josh Topolsky said for Bloomberg

"While consumers are already clamoring for the larger of the two phones, I found the iPhone 6 Plus too large and unwieldy to use as my daily driver. It does offer better battery life and an improved camera stabilizer compared with the iPhone 6, but its size proved to be more than I wanted to grapple with on a regular basis."

9. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

He's a wuss.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • List
  10. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

Brad Molen - Engadget

Both the 6 and 6 Plus use an IPS Retina HD display, but the Plus is even more high-def than the 6. It has a screen resolution of 1,920 x 1,080, which means you'll get a pixel density of 401 pixels per inch. On the flipside, the 6 maxes out at 1,334 x 750, which translates into 326 ppi. (That's the same screen density as the 5s.) Both displays are sharp, but I do see some minor differences between the two when I look at them side by side. Specifically, the Plus' text and images are sharper, with no jagged lines whatsoever.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

He notices jagged lines around the text on the 6? Right. He must have mantis shrimp eyes. Text hasn't been fuzzy on the iPhone since we got Retina a few years ago. It's overkill as the human eye is concerned. It's crystal clear on the 5s even when I zoom in as far as I can go.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. mbairguy

mbairguy Contributor
    Bronze

His pants were unzipped during the entire review...what a dork..

Feel free to pile on everyone...

Jagged lines...smagged lines...flibildy flea...this guy wouldn't know a jagged line if it was up his butt kickin' footballs...

Feel free to pile on everyone...

Sent using iCafe app

13. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

Cnet review is up.

14. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

I agree. I take these 'talking pundits' online with a grain of salt. I puzzled over that too. Even my old 4S I couldn't see jagged edges. He also said the 6 was the same density as the 5S. Wrong! It is still higher density than the 5S with 38 percent more pixel density.

15. nealh

nealh Contributor
    Silver

I listened to his review and my sense was that he did notice there was a difference. I'm not sure what he is calling jagged lines, But Its his way of saying it's less sharp

But I thought he also said unless they were side-by-side you would likely never really notice a difference since the iPhone six has an excellent display as well.(FYI,I got a 6+)

Given the overall pixel density I would think seeing an actual jagged line unless an app is not stealing properly would be ridiculous

FYI, I'm an ophthalmologist

16. billnye97

billnye97 Contributor
    Silver

After reading some of these reviews I'm really starting to question if I need a phone as big as the 6 Plus. I got the Spigen cases for it and they are huge but now I'm second guessing myself. Oh well, the 6 Plus I ordered doesn't come in until October 13 and it will probably be easier to obtain a 6 on launch if I go that route.

17. nealh

nealh Contributor
    Silver

I am in the same boat, just hoping the screen will make it worth while.

My hand are not big and I felt one handed use was going to be a stretch on the 4.7" and if that would be the case might as well get the best screen because I use my iPhone(like most here) for everything.

I always felt 5" to 5.1" was sweet spot.

IMHO, the iPhone 6 plus does not look stupid when held up and used as a phone, actually will give better mic position for calls I bet.

#17 nealh, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  18. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Interesting bit from TechCrunch.

Yep, the iPhone 6 Plus image above is ‘better’, but probably not enough for most people to notice without a direct comparison. For those of you feeling existential angst over the OIS in the iPhone 6 Plus, don’t stress. Buy it for the screen, buy it for the battery, but don’t buy it for OIS.

19. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Then you're my hero. You guys are great. Three vitrectomies, cataract procedures, scleral buckle, and one subluxation. You guys have kept me seeing. Thanks.

20. nealh

nealh Contributor
    Silver

Holy cow, you have been through a lot. I am glass you are doing well.
    iPhone 6 Plus is exactly what you need.
    As I said before I am 49, so I am hoping the overall size will be a acceptable for that sweet display. Im short (5'3")and I do not have gorilla hands, mine are small. So a big phone is going to be an adjustment and I hope I adapt fast or I will have to swap to a 6.

My son is 6 foot and he dying to see the 6+ and it was his encouragement for the large screen that got me to go 6+ over 6