iPhone 6 Bendgate

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by chris, Sep 23, 2014.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Not sure what to make of these photos or reports. It's hard to tell if the phones were subjected to stress tests beyond what is reasonable.

bent_iphone_6_plus.jpg bent-iphone6-plus.jpg

And this video, because now we've transitioned from blending and concrete to bending.

Hard to say right now if this is a real issue. If you're telling me that you can't reasonably pocket your iPhone 6 or 6 Plus, I could see that being problematic. I'm already crazed about not dropping it, that I've used my pocket more often. If the pocket is no longer a safe haven, I'm screwed.

Original report at MacRumors, with story as to why these bends allegedly occurred.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Just a postscript to the video. To me, it looks like this phone is already bent before he even conducts the test. As for the stress, it seems to be well beyond what should be acceptable. I would expect any phone to break.

Screen Shot 2014-09-23 at 5.31.42 PM.png

#2 chris, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

#3 Napoleon PhoneApart, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. jaydoc1

jaydoc1 Contributor
    Silver

Happened with the 5 and 5S too, I believe.

5. Torinate

Torinate Member
    Bronze

Eek!

I'm a regular pocket user... Guess I can't have it there if I'm planning on doing anything that requires any real physical movement.

Any response from Apple?

Previously, was there any warranty for this?

Wonder if a plastic back (5C type) would be more durable...

6. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I just saw this too, I have carried my iPhone 6 since Friday morning either front or back pocket in my Jeans, I was in NYC so all day sitting standing walking.Mine is straight as it should be. Wonder if this is a issue with most bigger thin phones?

7. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Those cases cited by that site are extreme damage cases. The real question is, just how much stress did the wedding guy do to his iPhone 6 Plus. I'm sufficiently freaked out. I've been so stressed out over possibly dropping the Plus, that I've been pocketing it early and often. It seems ok. I've got a heavy duty Supcase getting delivered tomorrow. That's the end of its days in my pocket, for now.

Again, I don't know what to make of the claims. All I know is that is sounds plausible and I don't want to be that guy who bends my $900 iPhone.

8. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I so agree. I do not know what to make of this? But since the announcement of the PLUS I had said I can not put it in my pockets.
    I had the Oneplus and experienced how uncomfortable it can be and easy to just slip out of the pockets while moving and sitting down. I also looked again at the store at the Plus and while it feels not big at all, again I tried to pocket it and just knew this is not working for me. How they bend it I have no clue? Perhaps it depends on body size ?

9. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

I find it hard to believe that regular pocketing would bend an iPhone, unless other stressful factors are involved. It may not be other people's style but I wear a belt holster for the iPhone where it stays protected and out of the way. I never liked putting my iPhone in my pockets because I carry so much other stuff in my pockets.

10. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Maybe, we just don't know. That video shows an extreme amount of force. How much pressure was applied in their front pocket? I would think it would enough to think, hey maybe it's not a good idea to keep my phone in my pocket.

Seems the bigger, thinner frame of the iPhone 6 Plus does make it a viable candidate for this sort of damage.

11. iksn

iksn Member
    Silver

I don't buy it. I don't believe pocketing it will damage it and I don't believe a case would protect it if that was the case (wow pun city USA).
    My plus will reside in my left front pocket caseless as always.

12. Chancellor

Chancellor Contributor
    Bronze

It does show a high amount of force,but I could see that happening when getting in and out of my car. I used to be super worried about my note 3 breaking in my pocket. I originally ordered the plus but ended up with the 6, I don't have to worry about it either way ;).

13. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Godspeed and good luck to you. :)

14. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

This is absolutely plausible apple probably did not intend for this phone to be a pocketable item. I am glad I got the 6, nevertheless I am using a case for daily use for the first time ever on my iPhone because I thought the device was way tpoo thin and slippery, perhaps the case can help prevent the bending problem. How long until we see cases marketed to specifically prevent "The Bend"???? :D

15. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

iPhone 5 and 5s models were known to bend, too.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

I doubt any bent from being carried in the front pocket. If you carry it in your back pocket you're asking for it.

17. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

18. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Use a stiff case until this is sorted out

19. iksn

iksn Member
    Silver

yes, ip5's and 5S's were probably bent in a vice and i'm sure the 6's could be, but I really don't see a phone that is flat against the front of my left leg bending. The part against my leg is protected from bending. I've had my case-less phones there for years.
    Having said that, the video makes me cringe.

20. rollinfromhell

Gold

I can see Apple's response to this: "Don't put it in your pocket."

Flashback 2-3 years ago: Antenna gate problem. "Don't hold it that way."

If this turns out to be a real issue: I really hope Apple does a recall. This is truly unacceptable if people are just putting it in their pockets. A little bend is okay, but the way his was before he bent it was sorta painful to see.

I'm glad I have the 6 right now, but I still want to go to the AT&T store and swap my 6 to get that plus when they have them in. :O