iPhone 6 could come with reversible USB cable

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by Rafagon, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Fresh reports from around the net herald the distinct possibility of a new lightning-to-USB cable that will be reversible not only on the Lightning end, but also on the USB end. This cable would make its debut with the iPhone 6. While this is not especially earthshattering, no one can argue that it won't be a welcome change, if it indeed does happen.

Now you'll be able to plug your iPhone 6 cable into the side of your MacBook, the back of your iMac, or the wall charger, in complete darkness, without the unpleasant experience of having the USB cable refuse to go in because you're attempting to plug it in the wrong way.

Assuming this new cable materializes, then in all likelihood Apple will also sell the cable as a stand-alone accessory, so that folks who choose to stay with their iPhone 5 or 5s will also be able to take advantage of it. The only question is, will Apple jack up the current $19.00 price due to the added convenience?

#1 Rafagon, Aug 18, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

It's already reversible on the lightning end, but not on the USB side. This'll be nice if it is.

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Sadly, today AppleInsider informs us that "these reversible male 'Type-A' USB plugs aren't compliant with the cable's official specifications, which means that newly leaked Lightning cables showing reversible USB connectors probably were not made by Apple." Well, in that case, let us hope Apple can get the official specifications changed. I'm sure whoever is in charge of those specifications can be bought.

4. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

who the hell still uses cables anymore. i use wireless for everything from charging to transfer of files. seems like apple is stuck on going back to the future. c'mon apple give you customers what they pay for you charge alot for your phones. it's only fair you give them their monies worth and im sure it's something the populace would want.

5. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I saw wireless pads on eBay but you still need the charger to plug into it.

6. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

sadly for us in the USA we need to buy the charger. some online cell phone stores sell the international version of a particular phone and some of thoes come with the charger as well as an extra battery. and the good thing about the charging base is that it can be used with any phone that has wireless charging built in. it doesn't even have to be made by the same company. i still use the same base unit from old HTC-evo4g. i hope one day all phones in the US will come with the base unit....fingers crossed:)

7. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Do the wireless charging pads I see on eBay for iPhone 5 work or do I need more besides the iPhone charger?

8. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I do! Many, like me, can't afford to go buy the latest, greatest gizmos available. We make do with what we have that works.

9. ednygma

ednygma Contributor
    Bronze

Doesn't the base unit still require a wire to connect to a power source? Wire to a pad vs wire to a phone. Does not seem to really be a difference in the grand scheme of things (but that is just my opinion on the issue). Do they make wireless chargers for a car because that is where I do more charging than anywhere else.

10. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

You're right that there isn't a difference. As for the wireless pad, I was told on eBay that you'll still need a wireless receiver.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I do. It's nice to be able to hold the phone and use it while it's charging. I have a portable charger that I can use while sitting on the couch, on the go or while I'm in bed, etc. I could get a wireless charger for my iPhone right now, but I don't have any interest in that. Also, Lightning plugs in both ways, so you never have to fiddle with it like you do with micro USB and 30-pin. Connecting to a charger isn't any more of a hassle than wireless charging, IMO.

#11 Europa, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I'm intrigued by the reversible USB on the new Lightning cables. I'm increasingly annoyed by the microUSB on my Moto X. By going reversible, the new Apple cable will have solved both ends of annoyance. I recently moved to a MacBook Pro and use a USB hub. I wish all of my devices had this.

I've been on a Lightning cable purchase spree of late. I'm adding in-wall USB outlets, add cables and end the cycle of missing cables in my house.

13. efuseakay

efuseakay Contributor
    Silver

Who cares. Just make LONGER CABLES! :)

14. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

That would be awesome as it's very hard for me to use my iPhone when it's charging. I can, it's just I have to make due with the length of cord I have.

15. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I recently purchased a few longer cables. I cannot even tell you the freedom I feel with a cable that is twice the size. My wife isn't thrilled, but I love them. By picking colors, we never have that debate about which cable belongs to who.

16. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Where do they sell longer iPhone cable chargers? I didn't think they were available.

17. ednygma

ednygma Contributor
    Bronze

Those are not made by Apple though, right? I know a lot of people don't like to use non-apple items for fear the specs might not match up properly and thus produce problems. The standard length of apple cables is too short.

18. efuseakay

efuseakay Contributor
    Silver

Oh gosh yes. 6ft cables are great!

MoneyMaker, monoprice.com has them. Lifetime warranty too. I recently had to RMA my two older cables back to them (had to pay for shipping to them only... cost less than 2 new cables), and they sent me 2 newer ones that are more durable. :)

19. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I will assume there not apple made. I've had and am getting more non apple made chargers soon. Although they don't last long, they don't mess up the device. My iPhone guy says the ones he just got that he's sending me are actually better quality. We will see.

20. efuseakay

efuseakay Contributor
    Silver

Monoprice, certified. They work just fine. Lifetime warranty. :)