iPhone 6 iOS 8.1 Map app issue

Hankl

Oct 21, 2009
When I try to get directions to an address I get the Apple map and then proceed to the -
Drive - Walk - Apps - screen.

When I select Apps I see the apps that can give me a directions.
Google Maps, MapQuest, Waze

I do get the "Route" option on any of these apps.

Tried this with WiFi and the LTE network. Using these apps by themselves works fine.

Any help in getting the "Route" option to show up would be appreciated. Thanks

Hankl

Oct 21, 2009
Thanks but I didn't explain it correctly. I want to "Route" into one of the other Apps.

So I may want to route with the Apple Map and then decide to use the Google Map, going from the Apple Map screen.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Thanks but I didn't explain it correctly. I want to "Route" into one of the other Apps.

So I may want to route with the Apple Map and then decide to use the Google Map, going from the Apple Map screen.
Try continuing to press on Route when you click apps. I just had to click route multiple times to finally get Google maps to open.

Hankl

Oct 21, 2009
Not sure what that is. from the map screen I select the Arrow on the top left.
That takes me to the Drive Walk Apps screen
The screen that shows the Drive Walk Apps has the blue line showing the route and a green and red pin.

I select the Apps and I get the screen I uploaded showing 3 installed map apps but no ROUTE option.

Almost seems to be an option on some Settings screen but I can't find anything.

Appreciate your help

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Not sure what that is. from the map screen I select the Arrow on the top left.
That takes me to the Drive Walk Apps screen
The screen that shows the Drive Walk Apps has the blue line showing the route and a green and red pin.

I select the Apps and I get the screen I uploaded showing 3 installed map apps but no ROUTE option.

Almost seems to be an option on some Settings screen but I can't find anything.

Appreciate your help
ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1414525020.713415.jpg

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1414525000.109331.jpg

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1414525050.782039.jpg

Attachments

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah

Siri will give you options for routing in other apps if you add "via transit" to the end of your request. For example, if you say "Directions to New York via transit" it will list all of your alternate maps apps (Google, Navigon, Waze, etc.) and you can select one. From there it will route in that app upon opening. If you don't say "via transit," it just opens Apple maps.

Hankl

Oct 21, 2009
Thanks Europa but using Siri also brings me to the "Drive Walk Apps" screen option and after selecting Apps I get the mapping apps but there is no option to select "Route"

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Thanks Europa but using Siri also brings me to the "Drive Walk Apps" screen option and after selecting Apps I get the mapping apps but there is no option to select "Route"
Try using Google Maps. It works fine for this.
image.jpg image.jpg

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
This is interesting. I've usually preferred to use Google Maps, Waze, and occasionally Mapquest. Today was my first time opening Maps since updating to iOS 8 and I was surprised to see only one route option listed for a familiar route to a destination that's about 45 minutes away. The Maps app only shows the shortest route that happens to include a section on a toll roll while the others gave me 3 routes including that toll road segment. Am I missing something with respect to the routing options that had formerly been available in Maps?

AdvTHANKSance

PS: I was also surprised that iOS now looks for other mapping apps into which you can open you routing search.