iPhone 6 'new' keyboard layout...

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by tvdc, Oct 6, 2014.

1. tvdc

tvdc Member
    Bronze

Does anyone like this? I prefer the look of the zoomed keyboard with bigger buttons etc.

But can anyone explain why that new layout isn't available on the iPads?!

Sent using iCafe app

2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I haven't seen the iPad. I assume it doesn't have the new keyboard the iPhone has. I doubt anyone here would know why Apple left the new keyboard off the iPad. Is it not a predictive keyboard?

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

3. kerriberri

kerriberri Contributor
    Bronze

As I'm typing this on my iPad, it does have the new predictive keyboard, it just doesn't have the zoom feature that I'm assuming is exclusive to the 6/6+

Sent using iCafe app

4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

With the size of the iPad screens, Apple probably didn't feel that a zoomed keyboard was necessary.

5. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

yeah, they're just intended to be used in different ways.

iPad really needs arrow keys and copy/paste. tapping and dragging is a pain in the butt sometimes. maybe one of the third party keyboards will add that stuff somehow.

6. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

I'm having a heck of a time typing on the bigger screen. I keep missing keys and stuff. I think I just need to get used to the slightly different location of the keys

Sent using iCafe app

7. tortex73

tortex73 Contributor
    Bronze

I can't stand the landscape keyboard on the 6. All the extra buttons just clutter things up and I end up hitting the wrong key all the time.

8. tvdc

tvdc Member
    Bronze

It's not the 'zoomed' feature I'm on about - it's the non-zoomed iphone 6 keyboard that has several buttons of extra functionality.

I'm surprised is hasn't been made an option on the iPad is all; after all there's plenty more space on an iPad keyboard than any other touch screen device (iPhone 6 plus included!)

Sent using iCafe app

9. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I actually like some of the things they did with the landscape keyboard on the 6 Plus. For example, we now have a dedicated key to turn on boldface text for apps that support it. You can turn on boldface prior to typing the text you want to boldface and turn it off when done, or you can select some text and then tap the boldface button. So far so good.

However, look at the button I labeled "WTF" in the screenshot below this paragraph. I have yet to figure out what this button does (and I'm sure I'll feel stupid as soon as someone chimes in and tells me [help? @chris ?]), but—it is not enabled for Mail.app or Notes.app, so why didn't Apple make their keyboard just a tad smarter with a little bit more work, and perhaps they could have removed my so-called "WTF" button and replaced it with an "Italicize" button if the app presently being used supports the italicizing of text but does not support whatever function it is that the "WTF" button accomplishes.

landscape orientation.jpg (thumbnail; click to enlarge)

Additionally, that "WTF button"—instead of having us guess what it accomplishes—why not pop up a brief info bubble when a user long-presses (long-taps) it?... something akin to this (on OS X) which I get when I hover the mouse pointer over the "+Quote button:

info bubble.png

I even resorted to a Google search. The completely reasonable Google query "special functions of ios 8 keyboard in landscape" didn't help me find out what that "WTF" button does. So, my point is that iOS 8 is making me jump through hoops to find out what this key does. Again, I realize that when you guys tells me, I'll feel very stupid for not having figured it out myself, but we're here to help one another, so I guess it's all good.

</rant>

10. tortex73

tortex73 Contributor
    Bronze

Your WTF button looks like a "copy to clipboard" button. I don't have the 6+ so I can't say for sure but that would be my guess. Try selecting some text and then hitting that button, and then see if you can paste it.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. tvdc

tvdc Member
    Bronze

Yeah, that looks right - to a non user anyway.

So you've got: Cut; Copy; and Paste (the glue I presume) all together.

If so, I'm sure you'll find it very useful after all.

12. billnye97

billnye97 Contributor
    Silver

It is in fact a copy button.

Sent using an iPhone 6 Plus 128GB on AT&T.

13. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

This is my theory..... The 6 is a bigger screen. On the ipad the keys are huge as it is even before ios8. Finally the ipad does have the new predictive text

14. FuelieNova

FuelieNova Contributor
    Silver

Ok maybe im a little slow but I don't understand what some of the extra buttons are on the 6plus keyboard when in landscape mode. For instance.... the little pen with a line under it or the two boxes with a A in the front one.
    Help
    Tom

15. tortex73

tortex73 Contributor
    Bronze

The pen is actually a glue bottle, ie. a paste button and the one with an A in the box is the copy button.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List