iPhone 6 or 6 Plus Upgrade in AT&T Store -- CHECK YOUR BILL!

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by bballrob, Oct 16, 2014.

1. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

I just got my first bill since upgrading to the 64 GB iPhone 6 Plus. I noticed a new line item on my bill for Mobile Insurance Premium in the amount of $6.99. There was also a prorated charge for $5.32 for the period from 9/19-10/11. I did not request this. I did not sign up for it.

I called AT&T this morning and they did immediately remove these charges. The gentleman also told me that this seemed to be something that occurred somewhat frequently to people who upgraded through the AT&T Site or on an AT&T Store. So, check your bills and make sure you don't get screwed any more by AT&T. Unless of course this happened and you accidently dropped your new phone already, in which case I say, thank AT&T for their error, and file a claim!!

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Thanks. I guess since I ordered through Apple I don't have the insurance premium and that's a good thing. My mom has it but since it's only $6.99 she will keep it.

3. ricks2gtouch

ricks2gtouch Zealot
    Silver

Happened to me last year. Jerks.

4. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Make sure she realizes it is a $6.99 PER MONTH recurring charge.

5. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Good point. Thanks. I'll ask her. Either way our bill will still be 170-180. We could switch to the 2GB which will be $40 cheaper then the 4GB but I would rather not risk it as my mom is not always on wifi.

6. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

For 14 months of this recurring charge, she could get 2 years of AppleCare+

7. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

She's not with Apple anymore. It was too confusing for her lol. Too many issues. In my opinion Android that she has now is confusing. :p

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Agreed. AppleCare+ is a better choice.

9. efuseakay

efuseakay Contributor
    Silver

I don't get these companies. I had to deal with AT&T several times right after I got my 6+ and my cellular bill. Normally it's $160ish a month but my last bill was $240. They added on so much extra crap that's don't want/need and didn't ask for. I just want the same plan I've had for years but with a new phone. They didn't seem to understand this. smh

I think they just hope most people are too busy to bother sorting things out, so they keep adding crap to our bills.

10. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

That's what I'm thinking. My mom doesn't look at any bill as she's just on autopay.

11. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

AT&T also covers a lost or stolen phone up to two times that AppleCare+ doesn't.

12. darkpoet25

darkpoet25 Member
    Bronze

I will make sure an check mine. When I ordered my 6 in store I told the rep I wanted to keep the same plan and not opt for insurance. I have the receipt saying I denied monthly insurance. Thanks for the heads up.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I don't think AT&T insurance is worth it due to the high deductible, high monthly charges and the lack of same-day replacements. I prefer to go through Apple because of all the perks you get from going through the company who makes the phone.

14. Murphy47

Murphy47 New Member

You all are not alone.
    Verizon pulled the same crap. Plus out and out changed my plan. Took an hour on the phone to get it reinstated.

15. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

I always bought the AppleCare+ for my iPhone until it was stolen (something I thought won't ever happen to me). When stolen the appleCare+ didn't help a bit. I also bought the AppleCare+ for my iPhone 5S and later on drop it. The apple customer asked me why I was dropping and explaining to him about my precious stolen iPhone and that I was going to get the AT&T insurance. He told me a lot of people were doing what I was doing and agree with me. He asked me to bring this subject up to apple to see if that way maybe they would come up with a similar option. I totally agree with AppleCare+ great service but, If you have to buy a brand new phone ( that is what one of my lines was replace with) will ended up paying a lot more than the $200 deductible which in my case was $150 for a promotion they were having.

16. efuseakay

efuseakay Contributor
    Silver

You might want to have a discussion with her. I bet they've ripped her off for as long as she's been autopaying.

17. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I'm not worrying about it. She said she wanted to keep it. It will lower the bill $7.00...she'll still be paying $170 something.

18. chazm

chazm Contributor
    Silver

Damn! I didn't even change my bill or add a new phone and I'm charged that insurance premium! I know I never authorized that but just noticed that my bill was higher this month and sure enough that crap is on there.

19. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

How much higher if I may ask? The issuance is only $7 so not really a killer. My mom isn't with Apple so yeah. She went to the other side.

20. chazm

chazm Contributor
    Silver

Looks like for over the last 16 months they've been charging me for the $6.99 premium. I'm an insurance agent and I know how insurance works and I didn't opt for it. Oh well, I'm canceling it tomorrow and switching to Verizon in a couple weeks.

I guess when I added my iPad to the plan the lady on the phone decided to add the insurance.

Ive been paying, for just me, $137/month since I've added my iPad. August bill for some reason was $143 and September is $150. I didn't go over my data limit and I'm unlimited text and talk. I'll have to see why the jump