iPhone 6 Plus Case - Lifeproof nüüd

Discussion in 'iPhone Cases and Accessories' started by up10ad, Feb 26, 2015.

1. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

I requested notification when the Lifeproof nüüd waterproof case for the iPhone 6 Plus was released and received my email 2 days ago. I followed the link in the email and was able to order. Today I received my new case! Cost was $99.99 with free 2 day shipping.

It appears that Lifeproof is still not accepting orders online without a special notification link.

image1.JPG

It comes with a test insert that pretends to be your iPhone. I added two pieces of paper towel to do the water test. After being submerged for 15 minutes they are still completely dry.

image2.JPG

image3.JPG

It is a small case considering the features. It has a lanyard attachment on the lower right corner and you can use the TouchID through the case. The screen is not covered at all, there is a seal around the outside edge. It includes an "Optional Scratch Protection" screen cover that looks to be similar to other plastic protectors.

I'll post more information as I use it, feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Note: the charging port is only large enough to accept the standard Apple cable, and will not fit any larger aftermarket accessory charging cables.

#1 up10ad, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  2. Njshoremom4gurlz

Njshoremom4gurlz Contributor
    Silver

I want it! Gonna go check thank u that's big news for iPhone users

3. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I received the email too but holding off until I see some real world reviews.

How's the voice quality on calls? Last time I attempted to use a waterproof case, the other party could barely understand me and I had to Max out the volume to hear them.

4. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Yeah, there's no getting around the problem of allers not hearing you well. I can hear them, but they do indicate that they have a tough time hearing me unless I use hands-free and talk into the microphone, or use a Bluetooth headset.

5. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Here's a follow-up. I just sent this feedback message to Lifeproof:

My iPhone 6 Plus nuud case is great with one exception. The charging port. It is too small to accept most aftermarket cables, and it is the weakest point in an otherwise solid design. The tiny plastic tabs that lock it closed broke after only a week, rendering my case useless from a watertight perspective. I find it strange that the seldon-used earphone port has a solid, virtually unbreakable closure while the port with daily use is tiny and fragile.

I realize my case issue is probably not covered by warranty but I felt that you really need this feedback to help improve your design. I'm sure you can find a way to implement a larger, sturdier closure for the charging port.

Not sure this will help any for this case, but if enough negative feedback is received it may improve future designs.

6. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

Your case issue IS and WILL be covered under their warranty. They're usually very easy to work with you. Those doors are very flimsy. Maybe lots of comments of this will cause 2nd Gen cases. And, aftermarket cables never worked with any of their cases, in my experience.

You paid $99.99? My email and subsequent visit to the website said $89.99. Is the $10.00 difference because of the extra screen protector?

Do they have this case is white? What's the Length? Width? Thickness?

7. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

My email has no price listed. The case shows $99.99 on the order page but even after they add $6 tax the total charged is less. Look at this crazy confirmation email:

image.jpg

I'll have to measure the size as I don't see it printed anywhere. It only comes in black.

I have looked into the Catalyst case and it looks like a good competitor. I had the Catalyst for my iPhone 5 when they were partnered with Griffin for the Survivor/Catalyst.

8. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Update: A replacement is on the way at no cost from Lifeproof.

9. EverythingApple

Gold

10. EverythingApple

Gold

http://www.catalystlifestyle.com/collections/iphone6/products/iphone-6-white seems like a good case too, but I'd like to see some reviews on it, especially with the touch ID. And, comparing the specs to the nuud, it looks a tiny bit smaller.

#10 EverythingApple, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  11. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

The Catalyst seems a tiny bit smaller, yes, but it does have a built in screen cover, where the Nuud has no cover over the glass.

12. EverythingApple

Gold

I wonder if the Catalyst is better than the LifeProof fre, which has a screen protector.

13. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

They don't make a fre for the iPhone 6 Plus, only the 6.

14. EverythingApple

Gold

I have a 6.

15. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

There is a thread about Lifeproof for the iPhone 6 too, and since you posted here I just assumed you had a Plus.

16. EverythingApple

Gold

I missed the plus. Sorry. No one's reviewed the nüüd for the 6. And, I haven't seen any mention on the Catalyst before.

17. mbairguy

mbairguy Contributor
    Bronze

Been waiting on this case since day one...ordered on 03.07.15 and received it today. Will do the leak-test tonight and install. Updates to follow once I have a chance to see how it functions.

18. PDACPA

PDACPA Member
    Silver

mbairguy - how is your Lifeproof working out? I have had them for my 4's and 5's and they always held up well, but I had them with the integrated plastic screen cover. I only put it on my phone when on the boat so it is more for minimal use while on the water and maximum water protection and I have been hesitant to trust the Nuud.

19. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

I received my replacement from Lifeproof but I don't think I'm going to open it (retail packaging). I'm going to post it on eBay for $89 with free shipping. If anyone is interested I'll offer it here for a few days first.

20. mbairguy

mbairguy Contributor
    Bronze

Have had it for a week and honestly was holding out on any reply until I got used to it; but here goes:

I have used "many" Otterboxes and generally a happy camper with their products. I don't mind the bulkiness of Otterbox; in fact I quite desire it when at the hunting camp riding 4-wheelers or boating. The flaps are easy to remove for charging, etc. and I seldom need (full) waterproof protection. I bought the Nuud because it also looked large enough to provide adequate protection from drops. The case is (of course) designed to be waterproof, and this is where I have issues in the design. I get it...its must have these features to be waterproof. So...its keeps out water...but is kind of a PITA to do anything else.

Pros:
    - Its waterproof without needing a built-in screen protector. This is a huge PRO in my book because I already have an iCarez screen protector on my 6+ and love it. 10 out of 10
    - Look and feel is OK. Rubber edging and corners are well protected. 8 out of 10
    - The lightning cable (apple) plugs in fine once you unsnap the cover. 9 out of 10
    - It comes with a dongle for connecting to the HP jack. It screws is so it keeps the WP integrity. 7 out of 10
    - The back is smoke grey and you can see the iPhone 6+ (Apple) clearly. That is good for people that need people to know that they have a damn iPhone. 12 out of 10
    - excellent protection for the camera /flash lens. 9 out of 10
    - (Best for last); I love the 6+...have since the day I got it...except one thing. I hate the location of the On/Off button. Virtually impossible to turn it On/Off without accidently adjusting the volume. The Spigen case provides NO help in this area. The Nuud has plastic guards that "book-end" the volume and silence button(s) which aid in button awareness. On/Off switch has a raised rubber button which makes it easy to locate and use without ANY trouble. None.

Cons:
    - Water-proof means daily functionality is cumbersome. 5 out of 10
    - Case sides are hard plastic which added to the feeling of its going to slip from my hands. 1 out of 10
    - Cannot imagine you could plug in third-party chargers if they are any larger than supplied Apple lightning cable. Not rated
    - Do not need a waterproof audio connection method 99.9% of the time. My car cable does not work anymore. 3 out of 10
    - The smoke grey plastic on the back is already scratched. I fear that soon, I will have to "tell" people that this is a damn iPhone.
    - Camera lens/flash; and front-facing ports are "deep" and have already begun to fill with crud. 0 out of 10
    - The speaker On/Off button is very awkward. 5 out of 10 (but much better than the Spigen)
    - In order to guarantee waterproof protection, LifeProof recommends that you test for case integrity every 3-months. 0 out of 10 (this kinda defeats the purpose in my book)
    - "This" case does NOT snap shut completely at the bottom speaker location; between the audio plug/speaker area. (no way my case is going to be waterproof). It does pull together when the charger port is closed. -5 out of 10
    - The touch button seldom recognized my fingerprints...had to recalibrate all fingers. 2 out of 10

This is a "good" case if it were $50. At nearly $100 I am currently unimpressed. I have relatively large hands and would not mind additional rubber on the sides. I may return it and try another Otterbox but that's my preference. If you demand waterproof, this is certainly a good case but based on the non-closing bottom, I will not be showering with the one I have now. Cheers!!

OBA.jpg