iPhone 6 Plus WiFi appears slow

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by rattlhed, Sep 20, 2014.

1. rattlhed

rattlhed Member
    Bronze

So like most Apple fans out there, once you get your new device you want to send it through all its paces. I've been playing with my iPhone 6+ constantly since yesterday afternoon. One of the first thing I did was jump into Apple and Google maps to see how amazing they look in the big screen. But I noticed it was taking an unusual long time to load maps up. So I dug a little further. First I wanted to see what LTE would be in comparison. Way faster! Almost instant which is what I used to get on WiFi with my iPhone 5. Then I did a side by side WiFi comparison to see if maybe it was just my WiFi network that was bogged down or slow. Not the case. Loading the exact same web sites was at least 3x as fast on my iPhone 5 compared to my iPhone 6+.
    Final test, use the Ookla Speedtest app. I made sure I was connected to the same server on both phones and ran the speedtest 3 times. I tried this with several different servers just to rule out any flukes. Each time the iPhone 5 was miles ahead of the 6+. The only way the 6+ could compete was to be over LTE, then they were about equal. Here are my results:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    As you can see the 6+ isn't even close. And this was pretty consistent for the several servers I tested it on. I've tried doing a full reboot of the phone as well, no luck.

Based on these results, I'm pretty convinced there is something wrong with the WiFi antenna on my phone. I'm going to keep plugging away for a couple more days but if this keeps up its back to the Apple store for an exchange. Curious if anyone else is experiencing this. Hopefully it's just my phone and not a case of serious hardware issues with the 6+.

2. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

That is about what I get on my Ookla speedtests for WiFi and LTE. It was the same for my old iPhone too. My Verizon broadband service I subscribe to only goes up to about 6 mbps for download so that is in the correct range for me.

3. Ddrumbum

Ddrumbum Member
    Bronze

Hmm weird, I just performed the same test and my speed is fantastic and much better than my 5S. Maybe reboot your router and phone and see what happens, if it continues, I would call tech support.

4. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1411234888.388763.jpg My wifi and LTE speeds are great on my 6.

5. Torinate

Torinate Member
    Bronze

Reset your Network settings.

You'll have to put in your wifi password again.

Reboot your modem as well.

Good luck!

6. neo

neo Member
    Bronze

I am having the same issues. Just bought me a 6 also so will see and update

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Try what @Torinate suggests. Go to settings>general>Reset>Reset Network Settings. Enter in your wifi passcode afterwards. Also reboot your wifi router/Modem by unplugging it for 1 minute. Then if back in. If you still have issues, visit a Genius Bar or your carrier store.
    Make sure when you test with SpeedTest.net, that you use the same location for each device.

8. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

Is your router security WEP? If so, change it to WPA2 and report back.

9. rattlhed

rattlhed Member
    Bronze

It's WEP. But why would that matter if it's been working fine for the 4 years I've been using it? Guess I'm unfamiliar with the various security types.

Sent using iCafe app

10. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

WEP is old and not as secure as WPA2.

http://www.diffen.com/difference/WEP_vs_WPA

Screen Shot 2014-09-21 at 5.01.39 PM.png