iPhone 6 to iPhone 6+

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by flightmedic, Nov 8, 2014.

1. flightmedic

flightmedic Member
    Bronze

I am selling my iPhone six and getting a 6+. Can I apply my iPhone six back up to the 6+?

Thanks in advance.

2. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

My opinion would be to restore as new, and then start a fresh. You typically don't have issues then :)

3. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

Yes, you can restore your iPhone 6 backup on an iPhone 6+.

4. Paul_01

Paul_01 New Member

Yes, it's exactly what I did.

I've never had any issues doing this over the years, but some people report issues, hence the reference to starting afresh above.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yep, that is perfectly fine.

I don't like using backups from older generations of phones that were running old firmware on a new device with newer firmware, but going from a 6 on 8.1 to a 6+ on 8.1 isn't likely to cause any problems.

6. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I've been restoring from a backup and backup while jailbroken since the 4s, never had any problems

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Most people don't experience problems. It's just that you can minimize the risk of problems by setting up new devices from scratch. There is a higher risk when the backup was made on an old device with old jailbroken firmware than when you go from stock 8.1 to 8.1, for example. The risk may not be large, but I like to do everything I can to avoid potential problems. That means setting up my new hardware from scratch. Besides, I like to start fresh once a year. I don't want my old texts, etc. on my brand new phones. I restore from backup throughout the year as needed. If I got a replacement of the same phone, I'd use my backup, too.

8. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Makes sense. I just don't have time to set the many settings, etc. I've been meaning to start fresh since the 4s!

9. billnye97

billnye97 Contributor
    Silver

I don't have the patience to set it up as new every year. I've had no issues backing up my iPhones since the original. I literally have all of my texts since June 29th, 2007. For whatever reason I have a sense of pride with that. :)

10. Njshoremom4gurlz

Njshoremom4gurlz Contributor
    Silver

I set it as new,when I switched because of battery complaints & I'm back to normal!