iPhone 6s Hardware Wish List

Discussion in 'iPhone 6S' started by Europa, May 27, 2015.

1. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I keep hearing rumors about a 12 MP camera. I'm happy with the rear camera on the iPhone 6, so a 12 MP is not that important to me. What I would like to see is an improved front camera. What we have now is a 1.2. It's weird that Apple shows no love to the front camera. Many of the Android flagship phones have 5 MP cameras in the front. Hell, I'd be happy with a 3 MP at this point. I also think the iPhone needs more RAM. I would also love to see an option for a silver casing with a black front. I like the black front, but I'm tired of the dreary space grey.

What hardware improvements and additions would you like to see in the next iPhone?

2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I love the Plus, but I'd like the regular 6 to get optical image stabilization in hardware as well.

3. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

This is something I've harped on before. The iPhone needs to have louder ringing and notification sounds (higher power audio amplifier and larger speaker). Currently, under only slightly noisy situations the phone can not always be heard when it's ringing and vibration is not alway useful if the phone is in a pocket rather than clipped to my belt. I've created ringtones which are much louder than stock ones but the lack of audio power in the phone keeps the louder tones from being effective. A few years back I owned a Motorola Q that could be easily heard 50 feet away in a noisy factory. I'm sure if Apple wanted to make it louder it could be done. I guess all of us hard of hearing old farts don't amount to enough of a user base for Apple to care.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

My iPhone 6 is significantly louder than the 5s. I've always kept my phones set at maximum volume so I can hear alerts when the phone is in another room and the alert tones actually startled me for the first few months that I had the 6 because they were so damned loud. I've only recently gotten used to it. I don't think I've missed any notifications due to being unable to hear them. I only miss them when I forget to turn mute off.

The watch with haptic feedback notifications would really help you not miss them. Any interest in it?

5. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Thank you Europa, as always your comments are appreciated. My 6 is also somewhat louder than my 5 was but is still on the low end of sufficient especially considering I'm not getting any younger and my hearing isn't getting any better. I have thought of the iWatch for the very reason you mentioned but I'm put off by needing to charge it every day, although I haven't really decided whether or not to get the watch. I have compensated to some degree, for the phone's low volume, by keeping my phone's speaker facing up in the Otterbox belt clip or putting the phone in a shirt pocket with the speaker facing up but it would be so much better if it simply had a few more milliiwatts of output power. According to what I can find on the web the iPhone6 has about 44 mw of audio output power into a 15 ohm load (that's to the headphone jack, I'm not sure about the speaker) which is fine for headphones whose speakers are less than an inch away from one's ears. Move that speaker two or more feet from the ears and the volume perceived by the ear is greatly reduced by that distance. In summary, I'm sure the iPhone's amplifier is well matched to an efficient speaker at the bottom of the phone but it simply is not loud enough for me to hear easily under noisy conditions.

#5 iPutz, May 27, 2015
    Last edited: May 27, 2015
  6. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

We should get "Forced Touch" on the 6s Plus. Maybe the 6s too. But the 6 hasn't been mentioned. "Forced Touch" sounds inappropriate somehow.

7. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Apple calls it "Force Touch."

8. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Ahh, that's what I meant.

9. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

I'm not sure that the Apple Watch haptic feedback would be a perfect solution. During my test fitting I found the notifications very subtle. Perhaps I'd get used to 'looking' for them after an acclimation period, but my initial concern is that I'd miss notifications. In fact, I'm starting a thread in the appropriate area to ask actual owners how they are doing with the haptic feature.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Perfect solution? I don't know if that exists, but the watch will certainly help. You might still miss some notifications in certain situations, but the haptic feedback will decrease the overall amount that you miss. Changing it from the default setting to "strong haptic feedback" will make it more noticable.

11. RicK james

RicK james Member
    Bronze

I thought I read the six cannot do the force touch because it requires a new screen.

12. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

That's why this thread is a "wish list" of new hardware people want for the next generation iPhone. ;)

I agree with a previous wish, that the front facing camera be given a boost in specs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Force touch is a rumor for the upcoming iPhone 6s.

14. efuseakay

efuseakay Contributor
    Silver

I'd like a flash for the selfie camera too.

15. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

High on my wish list are higher resolution displays. I understand that it won't be noticeable for average use, but it should make a noticeable difference when viewing high-resolution videos, photographs, etc.

There are new rumors* from Chinese blog Feng (original Chinese - English translation via Google Translate) suggesting the possibility of a 2K-resolution display for the iPhone 6s Plus, and full 1080p on its smaller sibling, the 6s.

*As with most rumors that circulate three months prior to the release of a new iPhone model, these rumors should be taken with a grain of salt.

#15 Rafagon, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  16. efuseakay

efuseakay Contributor
    Silver

Wireless charging would be sweet too, but I don't expect that until the iPhone 7.

17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I'm really not that enamored with wireless charging. I like the ability to use and talk on my phone while it's still charging. Being free of a cable in this regard isn't a big thing for me.

18. efuseakay

efuseakay Contributor
    Silver

I think they'd still have the cable for syncing and charging. I know I would. Hey, Apple. Hire me. :)

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

They absolutely would include a cable. A wireless charger isn't quite as portable as a cable.

20. RBNetEngr

RBNetEngr Contributor
    Bronze

I would like to see the Lightning adapter get upgraded to the latest USB 3.1 standard, which would also make it backward compatible with USB 3.0/2.0/1.1.

With the size of iPhone storage now up to 128GB, backing up, restoring, and upgrading via iTunes and a tethered connection take a long time using USB 2.0.