iPhone 7/7 Plus Reviews, Thoughts & Complaints?

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
After several days of using my new iPhone 7 my original assessment of better battery life still holds up. I've consistently seen more battery left at the end of my day than with my iPhone 6. The only other problems I've run into fall under the heading of operator error. All in all, a better device with a shorter learning curve than with past new models. Have fun y'all.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
After several days of using my new iPhone 7 my original assessment of better battery life still holds up. I've consistently seen more battery left at the end of my day than with my iPhone 6. The only other problems I've run into fall under the heading of operator error. All in all, a better device with a shorter learning curve than with past new models. Have fun y'all.
Mine seems the same, but I was using a 6s. Was your batter two years old? They don't hold a full charge at that point, so the increase you're seeing might be at least partially due to it being a brand new battery.

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
Mine seems the same, but I was using a 6s. Was your batter two years old? They don't hold a full charge at that point, so the increase you're seeing might be at least partially due to it being a brand new battery.
My iPhone 6 was 2 weeks short of two years old. It's battery life hadn't changed perceptibly from day one until it was replaced last Friday. I'm seeing about 10-15% better battery life with the iPhone 7 than before on my iPhone 6. I'm guessing that maybe 5-7% of that gain might be attributed to a new battery and while I have no way to quantify the increase in battery life, I'm confident that it is considerably better with the new phone than the old.

MCube74

Sep 30, 2016
I have been using the Plus models since iPhone 6 and 6s. Now I am using the iPhone 7 Plus 256gb (jet black) and I am very pleased with the phone. The home button needs some getting used to but eventually it will be fine. The Camera is a big improvement and so is the speaker quality.
I don't find the iPHone 7 Plus so much faster than the iPhone 6s Plus but the Jet Black color is awesome.

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
Using the lightning style ear buds I get the worst sound. But overall I am very please with my Matte Black iPhone 7. It's a beautiful phone. Kind of wish I had went the 7 Plus though.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Using the lightning style ear buds I get the worst sound. But overall I am very please with my Matte Black iPhone 7. It's a beautiful phone. Kind of wish I had went the 7 Plus though.
That's not normal. I wonder if your EarPods are defective. Have you tested them in another 7 or someone else's Lightning EarPods in your 7?

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
That's not normal. I wonder if your EarPods are defective. Have you tested them in another 7 or someone else's Lightning EarPods in your 7?
I have not yet.. But I planned to. It's strange. It's like listening to things in a tin can.

Zzz

Contributor
Bronze
Sep 13, 2014
I'm on my 3rd iPhone 7 in a month! Yes, a month!

1st one was an iP7 Matte Black. Went dead with "No service" issue one day and never recovered! Not a complete reset, not a reload of the OS, nothing! Apple store swapped it for a 128GB Jet Black (they had no 128GB Matte Black's in stock, just 32GB).

2nd one, my 1st iP7 Jet Black. The power button stopped responding. Pushing down gently or with pressure did nothing. Went to the Apple store today and they swapped it out for my 2nd iP7 Jet Black.

3rd one, my 2nd iP7 Jet Black. Well it's only been about 3 hours. So to be determined, LOL!

Aside from that. The 4.7 inch is still my favorite, the Jet Black has grown on me and I now prefer it over the Matte Black (Matte Black still very nice though). Battery life is good, I find it's better then my 6s. I like the all dark black look in combination with my black Apple leather case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I'm on my 3rd iPhone 7 in a month! Yes, a month!

1st one was an iP7 Matte Black. Went dead with "No service" issue one day and never recovered! Not a complete reset, not a reload of the OS, nothing! Apple store swapped it for a 128GB Jet Black (they had no 128GB Matte Black's in stock, just 32GB).

2nd one, my 1st iP7 Jet Black. The power button stopped responding. Pushing down gently or with pressure did nothing. Went to the Apple store today and they swapped it out for my 2nd iP7 Jet Black.

3rd one, my 2nd iP7 Jet Black. Well it's only been about 3 hours. So to be determined, LOL!

Aside from that. The 4.7 inch is still my favorite, the Jet Black has grown on me and I now prefer it over the Matte Black (Matte Black still very nice though). Battery life is good, I find it's better then my 6s. I like the all dark black look in combination with my black Apple leather case.

Did the Assistive Touch virtual home button automatically appear on the screen when your home button malfunctioned?

IMG_1082.JPG

Zzz

Contributor
Bronze
Sep 13, 2014
Did the Assistive Touch virtual home button automatically appear on the screen when your home button malfunctioned?

View attachment 44928
No it didn't. I thought that would only happen if the home button went faulty. My 2nd iP7, it was the power/lock button on the side that stopped working. Would of been cool to see that though. Although this is enough iPhone 7's for me. So no don't want to see it. LOL!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
No it didn't. I thought that would only happen if the home button went faulty. My 2nd iP7, it was the power/lock button on the side that stopped working. Would of been cool to see that though. Although this is enough iPhone 7's for me. So no don't want to see it. LOL!

Oh, on second read I see that you did say power button, not home button. I misread it.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
So, I've had my silver 7+ long enough now, I can give an impression.
Pros: in a word, speed. Not just the processor and ram bumps, but wifi and cellular speeds as well.
The camera is definitely a huge upgrade, and I've taken a number of photos that have impressed my group of friends.
Also, the phone is louder. More on that below.
There are a number of small tweaks that I find are either really useful, or annoying as hell. It's early, so I'm definitely not going to be able to list them as I get setup for work, but some of them are iOS tweaks, and some are model tweaks. It's a preference thing.
Cons: some of this is going to sound contradictory, but here it goes:
Biggest disappointment was the stereo speakers. I had high hopes for this, but it really fell short. It's great it is louder, but the ear piece "speaker" is half as loud as the bottom speaker, and there is no semblance of "stereo" at all.
Signal strength. Yes, my cellular speeds have definitely increased, but my signal dropped another bar almost everywhere. Places where I had 5 bars have ( in the past 4 years) dropped down to 3. There are still places where I can get 5bars, but it's rare. 4 is far more common. I'm on AT&T.
Bluetooth is fine for directly paired devices, but for anything that connects through an app and doesn't show in the BT list, its crap. Prime example is my Switchmate remote light switches. I have 3 setup so I can turn off the light when I leave and start my car, and when I get home before I come through the door. I lose connectivity all the time and usually have to reboot to get it back.
I have no problem with my headset or car head unit.
Lastly, random reboots. They almost seem like springboard crashes, and the happen fairly quickly, but a huge pain in the butt when playing a game or listening to music.

Over all, I like it. I'm hoping they tweak it a little more to clear up some of my negative experiences with the next iOS release, but I'm not holding my breath.

Btw, I have a 5s for my on-call work phone. It's so tiny in comparison.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Regarding the stereo speakers, I find them pretty evenly balanced. The sound quality between them is slightly different, but there is definitely stereo separation.

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
Regarding the stereo speakers, I find them pretty evenly balanced. The sound quality between them is slightly different, but there is definitely stereo separation.
Kind of like having a Bose three-way speaker on one side and a Radio Shack el-cheapo on the other side of your stereo at home. Better than nothing, barely.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Kind of like having a Bose three-way speaker on one side and a Radio Shack el-cheapo on the other side of your stereo at home. Better than nothing, barely.
I don't find the difference that drastic. That being said, I love my 7 Plus, though it feels like a placeholder for the iPhone 8.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Pros: in a word, speed. Not just the processor and ram bumps, but wifi and cellular speeds as well.
The camera is definitely a huge upgrade, and I've taken a number of photos that have impressed my group of friends.
There are a number of small tweaks that I find are either really useful, or annoying as hell. It's early, so I'm definitely not going to be able to list them as I get setup for work, but some of them are iOS tweaks, and some are model tweaks. It's a preference thing.
Biggest disappointment was the stereo speakers. I had high hopes for this, but it really fell short. It's great it is louder, but the ear piece "speaker" is half as loud as the bottom speaker, and there is no semblance of "stereo" at all.
Signal strength. Yes, my cellular speeds have definitely increased, but my signal dropped another bar almost everywhere. Places where I had 5 bars have ( in the past 4 years) dropped down to 3. There are still places where I can get 5bars, but it's rare. 4 is far more common. I'm on AT&T.
Bluetooth is fine for directly paired devices, but for anything that connects through an app and doesn't show in the BT list, its crap. Prime example is my Switchmate remote light switches. I have 3 setup so I can turn off the light when I leave and start my car, and when I get home before I come through the door. I lose connectivity all the time and usually have to reboot to get it back.
Lastly, random reboots. They almost seem like springboard crashes, and the happen fairly quickly, but a huge pain in the butt when playing a game or listening to music.

Over all, I like it. I'm hoping they tweak it a little more to clear up some of my negative experiences with the next iOS release, but I'm not holding my breath.

1. Did you restore from a backup of an old phone rather than setting up from scratch? If so, that could be the culprit. I'd restore to factory settings. It should fix you crashing apps and random reboots.

2. I think the stereo speakers sound great. It's a big improvement over the older phones.

3. I'd love to hear about the tweaks you're using when you have time.

4. Have you noticed any more dropped calls or no service in areas where you previously had service? If not, I wouldn't worry about the signal bars too much. I've never found them to be an extremely accurate representation of signal strength.

5. I hear you on the BT frustrations. Apple still can't get BT right after all this time. The iPhone still can't autoconnect to known WiFi networks when you arrive at them while on a BT call. You have to manually connect. Android has no problem with this.

6. Have you considered automating your home lighting? Using BT for lighting doesn't seem optimal and I imagine it would be flaky like that. Phillips Hue uses WiFi and also works over 4G/LTE. I have my lights programmed to automatically turn off when I leave the house and then come back on when I arrive home. I get a banner notification a couple hundred feet from my house stating that they turned on. It uses geofencing and works very consistently.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio

Dude, nice to see you again!