iPhone 7/7 Plus Shipping Thread

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
It's easier to do customs, sorting and routing all in one place. Rather than routing large international airplanes from China in Alaska, they just refuel them in Alaska and then head straight to Kentucky. After arrival, they do customs, sorting and distribution of the phones to regional planes and trucks. It's actually very efficient, cost-effective and saves time. Alaska doesn't have the resources to do what Worldport does. I've heard that nearly half of the operations out of Louisville are UPS.
As a former FedEx employee, who worked in the international sort, I can tell you that freight on those flights clears customs in Anchorage.

Of course, I worked there when Steve Jobs was still dreaming up the iPhone concept(1993-1997).

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
As a former FedEx employee, who worked in the international sort, I can tell you that freight on those flights clears customs in Anchorage.

Of course, I worked there when Steve Jobs was still dreaming up the iPhone concept(1993-1997).
I've heard both regarding customs. Either way, ANC isn't equipped to do sorting and distribution/routing for UPS for millions of iPhones. Louisville is best suited for it.

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
I will read the article posted, but I don't understand how it is a terrible idea. As I understand it, my rate plan won't change. They will add the cost of the phone to by bill and spread out the cost over the length of the contract. But by signing up to the 24 months they are giving me a credit of $650 that is again applied to the bill and split over the term of the contract. I mean, if this isn't correct, then they are hiding something. I should only be paying $219 out of pocket for the phone.
By being on a 2-year subsidized contract you are paying a higher monthly rate for the plan itself.. Generally you can get a phone on payments for less total per month than the subsidized plan. The reason again is that they charge you more per month for the actual plan when the phone is subsidized... There are numerous other reasons but.....

As long as you are happy then that's all that matters..

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
I've heard both regarding customs. Either way, ANC isn't equipped to do sorting and distribution/routing for UPS for millions of iPhones. Louisville is best suited for it.
You are correct on that last point. FedEx and UPS both use the "hub and spoke" distribution system. When I worked at FedEx, the freight came in from Asia, cleared customs, and then we sorted it and sent it out to about 5 different hubs downline where it was sorted more finely for final destination distribution. If I recall, we shipped to Memphis(Main FedEx Headquarters), Oakland, Indianapolis and Newark, and maybe one more.

It really is quite a system. And when Fred Smith, founder of FedEx first came up with it as part of his master or doctoral thesis, he received a C+ on his assignment. Guess he proved them wrong!!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
By being on a 2-year subsidized contract you are paying a higher monthly rate for the plan itself.. Generally you can get a phone on payments for less total per month than the subsidized plan. The reason again is that they charge you more per month for the actual plan when the phone is subsidized... There are numerous other reasons but.....

As long as you are happy then that's all that matters..
You are giving out incorrect information and continue to use that word incorrectly. They aren't subsidized. They get the discounted monthly rates for NOT subsidizing.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
of course AT&T is trouble
I am on chat they have me delivered tomorrow but shipping date in October now ? How can that be ?
they are checking if they can hold a device at the store now
This is why I always recommend ordering through Apple rather than AT&T. It often gets there on time fine with AT&T, but the ride can be stressful.

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
What a screw up they have me in the system with order conformation as delivery tomorrow but ship date is in October. Looks like I get no phone tomorrow :( .
I am working tomorrow morning so no going to AT&T store .

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
What a screw up they have me in the system with order conformation as delivery tomorrow but ship date is in October. Looks like I get no phone tomorrow :( .
I am working tomorrow morning so no going to AT&T store .
That sucks. :(
Was there always a discrepancy in your shipping and delivery dates or did that just change today?

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
You are giving out incorrect information and continue to use that word incorrectly. They aren't subsidized. They get the discounted monthly rates for NOT subsidizing.
Argue with someone else please... I am NOT using the word incorrectly nor am I giving out false info.. He flat out said he is on a 2-year contract....

It's no wonder people stop coming here........ Me included now.. SHEESH@

Condescending, argumentative and moderators who always have to be right no matter are so 1990's...

Anyway, your time is now freed up to haggle with someone else.. Feel free to close my account.

Peace!

Last edited:

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
Argue with someone else please... I am NOT using the word incorrectly nor am I giving out false info.. He flat out said he is on a 2-year contract....

Condescending, argumentative and moderators who always have to be right no matter are so 1990's...

Anyway, your time is now freed up to haggle with someone else.. Feel free to close my account.

Peace!
Don't go. You're my one and only cheerleader pulling for me and the Jet Black iPhone. At least stay til tomorrow night!! DO IT FOR THE CHILDREN!!

ednygma

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 9, 2009
Louisville, KY
It's easier to do customs, sorting and routing all in one place. Rather than routing large international airplanes from China in Alaska, they just refuel them in Alaska and then head straight to Kentucky. After arrival, they do customs, sorting and distribution of the phones to regional planes and trucks. It's actually very efficient, cost-effective and saves time. Alaska doesn't have the resources to do what Worldport does. I've heard that nearly half of the operations out of Louisville are UPS.
This is very true and I have heard it from inside sources (me). Most transportation companies operate on a hub/spoke system because that is much more efficient. In this instance UPS has many aircraft operating out of Louisville to various points throughout the USA. It is much more efficient to bring these huge shipments of iPhones in the Worldport and then have them sorted out to the correct aircraft thus consolidating delivery streams and costs. Hope that helps.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah

Peace!
He said he was doing the new Next trade-in plan. I'm sorry that you feel the need to leave, but I am responsible to correct people when misinformation is given.

This goes both ways. If I provide inaccurate information, I expect and appreciate it when someone points it out. The quality of the forum is only as good as the accuracy of the information and support that is provided.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Don't go. You're my one and only cheerleader pulling for me and the Jet Black iPhone. At least stay til tomorrow night!! DO IT FOR THE CHILDREN!!
Whaaa? I've been pulling for your Jet Black since day one.

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
He said he was doing the new Next trade-in plan. I'm sorry that you feel the need to leave, but I have to correct people who provide misinformation.
The only person putting out misinformation is you then arguing with everyone who tries to CORRECTLY explain the situation... Kinda like the argument over UPS with someone IN Alaska who actually worked for UPS..............

SMH! Anyway............... Back to the regularly scheduled attacks on the few remaining members I guess....

I'm still rooting for you @bballrob, it will just be in silence and from afar... :thumbsup:

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
@Europa, true. You have. As is @Sharunda I know. I guess he's my number three fan.

Now for some really exciting news. I just stopped in my local AT&T store to see if I can find out what kind of inventory they had on hand for tomorrow. I managed to capture some video of the FedEx truck backed up to the door and a driver going in twice once with the box that I do not believe contained iPhones. But the next trip he was caring four boxes which I imagine is probably their stock for tomorrow. They should run out quick. But I will be there. I may upload a video right now if one of them will upload from my iPad. Otherwise I will upload the minute and 22nd video which I put a voiceover onto once I got home through iMovie that shows him carrying both loads of boxes into the store.

I did go in to the store to see if I could talk to someone, however, there was a line of about three people plus each of the three customer service representatives were helping somebody at the moment. So I just left.

As I exited the store, there was then a UPS truck in the parking lot as well. He also went to the Apple Store, however, he only had a single box in his hand.

And it doesn't look like I can upload the video through the everything I café app on my iPad here, so you always have to trust me on this. I will try to post it later.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I just saw a couple people on another forum who preordered Jet Black Pluses from Apple with later delivery dates, and said their cards were just charged this morning (which Apple doesn't do until they ship). I bet we'll see some delivered tomorrow.

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
The only person putting out misinformation is you then arguing with everyone who tries to CORRECTLY explain the situation... Kinda like the argument over UPS with someone IN Alaska who actually worked for UPS..............

SMH! Anyway............... Back to the regularly scheduled attacks on the few remaining members I guess....

I'm still rooting for you @bballrob, it will just be in silence and from afar... :thumbsup:
I promise I'm not trying to pile on, especially since you've now been designated my #3 fan, but I'd like to point out that I worked for FedEx, not UPS.

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
OK, so I had forgotten that within the past year or so, there was a new AT&T Authorized dealer in the next town over, about a 15 minute drive. I just called there and they told me that they have ONE, yes ONE 128 GB PLUS model. The color -- GOLD!!!!!!! It's GOLD!!!!!

I'll keep trying to get some info out of my local store before they close today. The fact that the "Authorized Dealer" got a single GOLD PLUS phone gives me a WEE BIT of hope.