iPhone 7 Models?

Discussion in 'iPhone 7' started by 47seijar, Mar 4, 2017.

1. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

So with the iPhone 6/6s Plus, Apple produced several models. One for AT&T and the other for Verizon/Sprint/T-Mobile. It appears that with the 7 and 7 Plus Apple is only producing one model each that supports ALL frequencies. Is this the case or am I just confused? I was under the impression that with the 5s Apple went to a single model for all carriers.

2. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

The only iPhone 7 model that has all modems is the Verizon model. You can unlock and use Verizon iPhone 7 with Att but you can't use an unlocked att phone on Verizon because it lacks the modem that will work with those networks.

3. Ohmster

Ohmster Member
    Silver

So why on earth would Apple not just sell the one that works w/ all carriers? Or am I just being stupid and asking a silly question......

4. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Not a silly question at all, I agree! It's stupid and if I had to guess, it has to do with saving $. Why not disclose that and sell the "lesser" variants of the phone a little cheaper. It's greed at its ugliest !

5. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

I think making different models is probably at the behest of the carriers. Nobody wants to make it easy to jump ship to another carrier, and having to get rid of your phone to do it dissuades a lot of folks from doing so.

6. Ohmster

Ohmster Member
    Silver

Sure. Makes sense. But if Apple sells them at the same price, why would I not buy the ultimate (Verizon configuration) and then take it to the carrier of my choosing?

7. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

Oh, you definitely can, and definitely should! But lots of folks still buy their mobiles through their carriers. Probably a holdover from the days of huge telco subsidies for new phones. Not long ago, 95% of mobile phones were bought through the carriers vs. from the manufacturer. For extending your contract by two years you got a new flagship phone for around $200. Eschewing the contract extension forced you to pay full retail - $500 extra or more in some cases.

8. brdmsd

brdmsd Member
    Bronze

It used to be that a Verizon phone would not allow you to talk on the phone and access the internet at the same time. AT&T would allow it. Is this no longer the case?

9. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

The Verizon NETWORK does not (or did not?) support simultaneous voice & data. It's not the phone. Verizon was supposed to solve this with voLTE but I don't know where they now stand on simultaneous voice/data.

10. timscookie

timscookie New Member

This. It really doesn't benefit Apple in any other way. I can guarantee 99.9% of people have no idea there are different model numbers anyway, and nor should they.

11. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Missing an apostrophe? 7+'s as in they have multiple 7+ devices in stock.....