IPhone 7 Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone 7' started by bkford, Jun 8, 2017.

1. bkford

bkford Member
    Bronze

My husband's iPhone 7 Plus is dialing phone numbers when nothing is touching it. I thought he was pocket dialing (several people have told him he has pocket-dialed them). But twice recently, I have been looking at him, while he is making no contact with his phone, and his phone has called me. Once, it was in his pocket, but he and I were talking, and it was hanging loose in his pocket, and nothing he was doing could have initiated the call. Then today, I was talking to him, and he was sitting in his chair with his phone on the table beside him. My phone rang, and it was his phone calling me. Nothing touched the phone.

2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Is his Mac linked in to that phone number? As in, to make phone calls from the Mac?

If that's the case, and if the Mac was left unattended, then perhaps one of your pets is unintentionally placing calls from that Mac.

#2 Rafagon, Jun 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

This is a somewhat common problem. Reset all settings through the Settings app and update his phone to the latest iOS version. If that doesn't work, he'll need to restore it to factory settings.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Sounds like you've been watching too much of The Leftovers.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I had this happen as well. I dismissed it as a isolated incident.

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

This is a pretty serious bug. I'm surprised I've never heard this before. Not that I'm doubting the bug's existence at all--it's obvious it does exist since multiple users have experienced it.

This could cause serious legal issues for those it affects. For example, person B might have a restraining order against person A. Person A's iPhone has gone rogue and is dialing contacts at random. If one of those contacts happens to be our person B, person A would suddenly find him- or herself in hot water.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

There are lots of threads on this problem. If you'd Googled it, you probably wouldn't have jumped to conclusion that cats and dogs are sitting on desks or computer chairs using iMacs and unintentionally making phone calls while searching for animal videos on YouTube. :D

If your phone makes random calls and you happen to have a restraining order, it's probably a good idea to delete their contact and restore the phone.

8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

It's unlikely, I admit. But anything's possible. There have been situations where cats have dialed 911 to save their owners. Or at least, that was the only explanation for a call to 911.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/10663270/ns/us_news-weird_news/t/hero-cat-apparently-dials-help-owner/

I doubt a cat could both launch the FaceTime app and, subsequently, accidentally place a call, but if you left the application running and in the foreground, and your cat is particularly dexterous, then the possibility of an accidental call cannot be dismissed.