iPhone 8 to be Announced at September 12th Keynote

Discussion in 'iPhone 8' started by Europa, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Several news sources have announced September 12th for the event. I imagine Apple will send out invites and announce it soon (probably today).

According to the Wall Street Journal:

"The timing lines up with the usual iPhone announcements. This time around, however, the company is reported to be revealing three devices. One is the fancy, nearly bezel-less iPhone 8 we’ve heard so much about, while the other two are likely to be the iPhone 7s and 7s Plus, with less radical design changes. Let’s hope that naming scheme doesn’t stick, as it’s going to confuse everyone. The iPhone 8 is expected to cost upwards of $1000 in some configurations, likely due to the expense of creating its screen – and the fact that Apple is one of the few companies that can get away with charging that much. It will feature advanced facial recognition to make up for the lack of Touch ID on the front, though some expect the fingerprint sensor to be moved to the power button. All three devices are expected to include some form of wireless charging."

2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I know Apple wants to hold the keynote event in the new Steve Jobs Theater. I hope it's completed by then.

3. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

They would also need a lot of other stuff to be ready too, including all the internet and building A/V, parking garage and campus access. I'd like to see it happen but I have to wonder after seeing the latest drone vids and articles.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Looks like it's gonna happen! They just Tweeted it.
    IMG_1842.PNG

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

All aboard!

IMG_1843.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Got it added to my calendar!

7. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

OH yes !!!

8. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I try not to react to these things, but today I downloaded the Apple Store app and made sure my payment and address info was updated.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I took it a step further and ordered a little purple Mophie charger just to make sure my payment info was good to go. It went through smoothly. Last year I was too slow and missed out on the phone I wanted at launch (I took less than 2 minutes picking a case and Apple Care +). A few years ago, it kept kicking it back to me saying my address wasn't right and it wasted a couple minutes getting it fixed. Turned out they just wanted the 9-digit zip code.

10. ednygma

ednygma Contributor
    Bronze

Mental note to get all my info correct this weekend so I am red to go

11. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Considering the nightmare I had last year with Sprint preorder system, was considering using the Apple Store app.
    Can I sign up for the upgrade program now so I don't have to do that when the presell goes live?
    Know this has been discussed as infinitum in the past, but may be helpful to others....

12. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I think you have to sign up when you purchase a phone. Here's information on that.:
    https://www.apple.com/shop/iphone/iphone-upgrade-program/join

But I could be wrong.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Led is correct. You have to sign up at the time of purchase. It doesn't take long. I got mine ordered in within just a minute or two when I signed up. I strongly recommend using the App Store app. It tends to be less prone to problems and recognizes the Apple Store is back open sooner than browsers. I'd get the app set up now and make sure you have your credit card added in and up to date and your address correct. You'll still need to pay tax at the time of purchase.

14. snowtrooper1966

Gold

I'm dialed in the app.
    My recent 27" iMac purchase history has all my info and CC correct, so should be eaazy peezy.
    Imma going for the x/edition device, so going to be an extended delivery window regardless.
    Don't think an extra minute or two will make a big difference in the grand scheme of things...

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Cool.

A minute can definetly can make a difference. Just adding a case to my order slowed me down enough last year that I didn't get the phone I wanted. They were out of the launch-day black (jet and matte) Plus within just a couple minutes of the store opening.

16. snowtrooper1966

Gold

You are not wrong.
    Was on the phone for a couple hours the other day trying to get good info on preorder and iUp program.
    Was the most convoluted convo I've ever had with Apple, and I've had some doozies.
    Was xfered about 6 times all told.

I think the expected delay for the x/edition will put quite a few folks off, so may have a good chance of being in the 1st wave of shipping for it....

17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

I'll wait until I can touch and feel the iPhone x. If I like that one I'll order it. When I get it I get it. Not gonna stress about it.

Maybe I'll like the iPhone 8 better than the X.

19. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I will get mine through AT&T as I usually do but now I think I sign up prior with Apple just in case. Last year was a disaster.

20. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

The 7s (or 8) and Plus will have the same 4.7- and 5.5-inch LED/LCD displays as their predecessors. The iPhone 7s (or 8) lineup will reportedly gain True Tone "true color" display technology, as well as upgraded cameras, the same A11 SoC and wireless charging capabilities as the iPhone X. And will cost about $200 less than the "iPhone X".