iPhone 9V Emergency Charger

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Has anyone tried the iPhone emergency charger at Handheld Items? I'm wondering how much of a charge you can get from 9V.

Last edited by a moderator:

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I'm sure it is good for what it states and that is for emergencies. Wouldn't want to depend on it as a full fledged charger.

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I'm sure it is good for what it states and that is for emergencies. Wouldn't want to depend on it as a full fledged charger.
Yeah, i wouldn't either. I was hoping someone had tried it, as i wanted to know how much of a charge you could get from it.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I was hoping someone had tried it, as i wanted to know how much of a charge you could get from it.
:laugh2: I just went to the link you posted and IMO the answer is there. Went from $19.99 to $4.99. Sends a red flag to me.:laugh2:

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Well, check the mAh rating on the battery, and figure probably 10-15% loss due to inefficiency and the voltage conversion.

A quick check of an Energizer alkaline 9v battery reveals a capacity of 625mAh - or a little less than half of the 1450mAh 2G iPhone's battery, so at BEST, you could only charge it to roughly 40-45% charge factoring in losses. (Note: I haven't yet seen official specs from Apple on the capacity of the 3G's battery)

Energizer AA batteries have a capacity of 2850mAh - or about double the 2G iPhone's battery. HOWEVER, each cell is 1.5 volts, so for this to be valid, we have to have a higher voltage than the 5.5 volts that the iPhone charges at. So if you connect 4 AAs in series, that would give you a 6.0v battery pack, which could charge the iPhone. However, many popular AA chargers have only TWO AA batteries, so the 3v must be transformed to 6v at a loss. Further, your 3v, 2850mAh battery pack is effectively a 6v, 1425mAh pack - so when you factor in losses, it still will not quite fully charge a 1450mAh battery.

So while the 9v holder could make a decent "holy crap, my battery is DEAD and I need to make a call NOW" type charger, don't expect much from it.

Jul 23, 2008
Well, check the mAh rating on the battery, and figure probably 10-15% loss due to inefficiency and the voltage conversion.

A quick check of an Energizer alkaline 9v battery reveals a capacity of 625mAh - or a little less than half of the 1450mAh 2G iPhone's battery, so at BEST, you could only charge it to roughly 40-45% charge factoring in losses. (Note: I haven't yet seen official specs from Apple on the capacity of the 3G's battery)

Energizer AA batteries have a capacity of 2850mAh - or about double the 2G iPhone's battery. HOWEVER, each cell is 1.5 volts, so for this to be valid, we have to have a higher voltage than the 5.5 volts that the iPhone charges at. So if you connect 4 AAs in series, that would give you a 6.0v battery pack, which could charge the iPhone. However, many popular AA chargers have only TWO AA batteries, so the 3v must be transformed to 6v at a loss. Further, your 3v, 2850mAh battery pack is effectively a 6v, 1425mAh pack - so when you factor in losses, it still will not quite fully charge a 1450mAh battery.

So while the 9v holder could make a decent "holy crap, my battery is DEAD and I need to make a call NOW" type charger, don't expect much from it.
"Wow"! You just made my head spin but that's one of the most thorough answers I've ever seen! "Thanks"! Even though I didn't ask the question. :)

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
LOL! No problem. I've posted on the subject before, but there's so many charging solutions out there that I wind up reposting periodically. Try searching, I posted a more easily understood version some time back.