iPhone A/V cable

OGrizzle

Jul 17, 2007
The following is a transcript of a conversation I just had a few minutes ago using the Apple store's chat now feature:
  • You are chatting with Kim R, an Apple Expert
  • Hi, my name is Kim R. Welcome to Apple!
  • Kim R: Good afternoon
  • You: Hi. My name is Matt. Yesterday I clicked on "Chat Now" and talked to someone named Ted. I asked if the new Apple Component AV Cable was compatible with the iPhone. Ted said yes. I asked if he was sure because I had read on various blogs and message boards that the iPhone was not capable of outputting video. Ted said that he asked one of your "engineers" and they said it would work. Now I am looking at the item description page and the iPhone is no longer listed as compatible. However, the cable is still listed in the iPhone accessories section. What is the deal?
  • Kim R: One moment please while I review your comments and for my response....
  • Kim R: There is no way for us to test it at this point. I recommend going by the product description....
  • You: So, you're saying that Apple store employees don't know which accessories work with which Apple products? The problem is the description changed in the past 24 hours.
  • Kim R: Thanks for waiting. I'll be right with you.
  • Kim R: iPhone has the same 30-pin dock connector as the iPod, so many properly designed accessories can be used with both iPhone and iPod. However, iPhone may cause audio interference with some iPod accessories. Products that are engineered and certified to be compatible with the iPhone will carry the "Works with iPhone" logo on their packaging.
  • Kim R: I have checked same with a system engineer, I recommend going by the description description.

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
When the guys at macfixit took the iPhone apart they scoped all the pins on the bottom of the iPhone and none of them provided video out.

Conan

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
The following is a transcript of a conversation I just had a few minutes ago using the Apple store's chat now feature:
  • You are chatting with Kim R, an Apple Expert
  • Hi, my name is Kim R. Welcome to Apple!
  • Kim R: Good afternoon
  • You: Hi. My name is Matt. Yesterday I clicked on "Chat Now" and talked to someone named Ted. I asked if the new Apple Component AV Cable was compatible with the iPhone. Ted said yes. I asked if he was sure because I had read on various blogs and message boards that the iPhone was not capable of outputting video. Ted said that he asked one of your "engineers" and they said it would work. Now I am looking at the item description page and the iPhone is no longer listed as compatible. However, the cable is still listed in the iPhone accessories section. What is the deal?
  • Kim R: One moment please while I review your comments and for my response....
  • Kim R: There is no way for us to test it at this point. I recommend going by the product description....
  • You: So, you're saying that Apple store employees don't know which accessories work with which Apple products? The problem is the description changed in the past 24 hours.
  • Kim R: Thanks for waiting. I'll be right with you.
  • Kim R: iPhone has the same 30-pin dock connector as the iPod, so many properly designed accessories can be used with both iPhone and iPod. However, iPhone may cause audio interference with some iPod accessories. Products that are engineered and certified to be compatible with the iPhone will carry the "Works with iPhone" logo on their packaging.
  • Kim R: I have checked same with a system engineer, I recommend going by the description description.
how the heck can Apple support not know..what are they there for! I was really looking forward to buying it :(

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Thus proving that the term "Apple Genius" is an oxymoron.

Hi I'm a Mac.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
This is very disappointing....I first heard about this on Wednesday but I haven't followed it since today and apparently iPhone does not support this. Who knows at this point but I wouldn't totally rule out the possibility of this working with iPhone. The interference caused by iPhone does not seem to be a legitimate reason for no support.

Conan

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
This is very disappointing....I first heard about this on Wednesday but I haven't followed it since today and apparently iPhone does not support this. Who knows at this point but I wouldn't totally rule out the possibility of this working with iPhone. The interference caused by iPhone does not seem to be a legitimate reason for no support.
There is no video out hardware in the iPhone...there is no way it can do video out unless..apple can digitally solder it in over an iTunes update and they cant!. sadly.

dmksaved

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
THIS REALLY BLOWS! Apple made the ipod touch video out compatible but not the iPhone . a $600 device now $399 has no way to output video to a tv.
i was excited when i saw wed . that the component video output had iPhone compatible .. i almost bought it . but i didn't because it said 2-3 weeks shipping. now the iPhone is not on the compatibility list . Apple i like your products but . just make sure when you update a page your doing it right ! you got me all exited and then bumbed . so i now hear the iPhone cant output video at all . that blows ! bad mistake Apple .

Conan

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
THIS REALLY BLOWS! Apple made the ipod touch video out compatible but not the iPhone . a $600 device now $399 has no way to output video to a tv.
i was excited when i saw wed . that the component video output had iPhone compatible .. i almost bought it . but i didn't because it said 2-3 weeks shipping. now the iPhone is not on the compatibility list . Apple i like your products but . just make sure when you update a page your doing it right ! you got me all exited and then bumbed . so i now hear the iPhone cant output video at all . that blows ! bad mistake Apple .
ya man, thats how I feel...I actually jumped on the bandwagon when people were saying it was just a matter of an update to unlock the video out capability. I was just wondering...wouldn't already having video out and posting it in teh specs make the iPhones sell more? also several groups have opened the iPhone and found no video out jack. I only wish it was possible :(

dmksaved

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
ya man, thats how I feel...I actually jumped on the bandwagon when people were saying it was just a matter of an update to unlock the video out capability. I was just wondering...wouldn't already having video out and posting it in teh specs make the iPhones sell more? also several groups have opened the iPhone and found no video out jack. I only wish it was possible :(
stupid Apple engineers made a mistake . I dislike Apple for this .

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
There is no video out hardware in the iPhone...there is no way it can do video out unless..apple can digitally solder it in over an iTunes update and they cant!. sadly.

LOL:p:p:p:p:p

CarbonFly

Bronze
Sep 23, 2007
Columbia, SC
Open mouth, insert foot.

With the 1.1.1 update that Apple released today, there is now VIDEO OUT on the iPhone! :p

Conan

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Open mouth, insert foot.

With the 1.1.1 update that Apple released today, there is now VIDEO OUT on the iPhone! :p
No iam pretty sure we have to use the dock for this, cant directly connect to iPhone .. I don't know how Apple will do this...if you can.. then guess Iam wrong and you all can laugh at me, no biggie ^^

bsharp

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Attachments

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
Ok, I just placed an order for the Apple AV Component cables for my iPhone. But now I see this link, which is for some Composite cables (listed in the ipod section):
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP.../ipod_accessories/cables_docks&nplm=MB129LL/A

However, only the component cables are listed under the iPhone category. Are we to assume that composite cables do NOT work, but component cables do? Personally, I'd rather get the composite cables, as many old TVs do not support component.

Conan

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
I chatted with a Apple Representative earlier and he linked me to this:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...Phone_accessories/cables_docks&nplm=MB128LL/A

I asked him why iPhone isn't listed as compatible and he said that he asked several sources and confirmed those are the ones that will work. I went ahead and trusted him and ordered those, I will tell y'all if they work or not once I get to try them out. You can go ahead and try it out and order it. He said the site would be updated later. GL.

P.S. He also told me that they are listed under iPhone section for a reason. Not making this up..his name was Robert if you want to know. :)

ZodiacfreaK

Bronze
Jan 11, 2007
Not yet, should be sometime later this next week.