iPhone able to download songs via WiFi?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

cpl55

May 25, 2007
This seems like a no-brainer, but I've read several places that it may not be able to download songs without going through a computer, just like iPods must do. Can anyone clarify if this is the case or not?

archer6

Bronze
May 15, 2007
This seems like a no-brainer, but I've read several places that it may not be able to download songs without going through a computer, just like iPods must do. Can anyone clarify if this is the case or not?
I think on this question we will have to wait until the iPhone is out and then we will know.

BoxKrait

Bronze
May 16, 2007
Can you run iTunes..... on the iPhone? lol

Being able to download songs over Wi-Fi is another way for them to make money. Chances are that will be readily available.

Not saying anything is wrong with that, but which company doesn't take advantage of that?

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
I think steve said no transfer without computer. He said it wouldn't sync wirelessly so I don't think you could DL directly.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
Full blown web browser my ass!
What does the web browser have to do with it? The iTunes Store is accessed with iTunes not the web browser.

BTW, if you would check out post #5 in the other thread on this topic (see my post above for the link), you find that Apple has filed for a patent regarding this. It implies that this is a feature that will eventually be available.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
I think steve said no transfer without computer. He said it wouldn't sync wirelessly so I don't think you could DL directly.
I read that too but I hope that's not true. Apple's making such headway in making the wireless world more of a reality (providing wireless mice/keyboards at checkout) and the Apple TV has wireless...

The iPhone will have at least 2 forms of local wireless just waiting to be used. If you have quite a bit of songs to sync, then you're going to want to hook it up of course but if you just want to sync your contacts (or bookmarks) or even just an album (eg for the road), it's a no-brainer. Bluetooth is not that slow and wireless is even quicker.

BoxKrait

Bronze
May 16, 2007
What does the web browser have to do with it? The iTunes Store is accessed with iTunes not the web browser.

BTW, if you would check out post #5 in the other thread on this topic (see my post above for the link), you find that Apple has filed for a patent regarding this. It implies that this is a feature that will eventually be available.
I wasn't talking about iTunes. *gasp*

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
I wasn't talking about iTunes. *gasp*
Than what were you talking about? From you posted it isn't clear.
Can you run iTunes..... on the iPhone? lol

Being able to download songs over Wi-Fi is another way for them to make money. Chances are that will be readily available.

Not saying anything is wrong with that, but which company doesn't take advantage of that?
The only way for "them" (I assume you mean Apple) to make money by you downloading songs over Wi-Fi is for you to purchase the music from the iTunes Store. As of now, that means accessing the iTunes Store via iTunes. How does a web browser fit into this equation.

May 31, 2007
Hmm, now this got me thinking (uh oh!). How about iPhone's talking to each other? Hmm...

Oh you mean like the ZUNE! :mad: No way. That is quite posibly the sorst feature ever. I think that being able to access shared iTunes librarys is a good idea but iPhone to iPhone is way too much.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Oh you mean like the ZUNE! :mad: No way. That is quite posibly the sorst feature ever. I think that being able to access shared iTunes librarys is a good idea but iPhone to iPhone is way too much.
Well, I wasn't thinking about sharing a song with someone. More like sky's the limit. You can exchange photos, chat, head-to-head gaming, who knows! :)

May 31, 2007
Well, I wasn't thinking about sharing a song with someone. More like sky's the limit. You can exchange photos, chat, head-to-head gaming, who knows! :)
Ok well as long as it's not like a zune i'm happy. I mean come the only seling point of a zune is that you can turn it off.

P-one

Bronze
Jun 9, 2007
I really don't see why that should even be a problem with the iPhone. You would think
Apple>iPhone>Mac OS X Mobile>Safari>iTunes>Download>iPod>Play>Simple. As an idea I thought they were going to add a small browser on the new ipod videos with wifi for easy iTunes d-loads. That didn't happen. And now with this smart phone, it really should be a no brainer. Makes you scratch your head doesn't it?

It has to happen.:cool: