iPhone Abroad

Norway

Apr 27, 2009
Hi,

I'm going abroad soon and wanted to take my iPhone and use just for the iPod side of it and nothing else.

I've searched sites to seek advice on avoiding charges for accessing emails etc but could i do this by just leaving my sim card at home?

Many thanks

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
That's one way, but why not just keep it in Airplane mode? That way you can still use the other parts of the iPhone and have the option of turning on the phone in case you need it for some reason.

Joe

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
I agree with Joe. You can certainly take out your SIM to be absolutely sure. But another thought is you can actually turn on Airplane mode, and with Airplane Mode on, still manually turn on WiFi...so basically you turn the phone into a iPod Touch. You won't incur any cell charges unless you take it out of Airplane Mode.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
You can also make sure that the "enable data roaming" option is turned off, thus further protecting yourself.

spigini

Jan 1, 2009
I was just in Australia with mine and like Young said I just turned the "enable data roaming" off so i never was charged for anything. Just used the phone where wi-fi was avaliable for emails and such. Texting was .30/cents a incoming/outgoing charge from there which I did a little bit but that wasn't bad.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
keeping the phone on but with data roaming turned off still lets you use wifi? Thanks, didn't know that!