iPhone activation in Apple

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

VPA021

Jun 14, 2007
does anyone know if Apple will be activating iPhone in there stores? I heard something about you will just buy the phone and activate it your self? Can anyone confirm this?

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
I'm not sure it's possible to confirm it. There's only speculation that Apple folks will be trained to do this in the stores.

We all find out on iDay.

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
Which seems less likely, because apparently nobody is being trained, and to train for activation seems like it might be a longer process than just learning about the phone.

They very well may require you to activate it with AT&T if you buy at an Apple Store.

thedwp

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
I called my Apple store and they told me that they WILL NOT activate the phone in the store.

RyanFavre

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Milwaukee
If Apple doesn't activate in store it may be a good thing. Lines will move much faster and I imagine you'll be able to activate the phone at any cigular wireless store (including the authorized retailers).

tpeter

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
So, that begs the question, how will they "require" a two year contract with purchase?

They wont.

If you read the article in USA today they said to prevent hoarding and reselling they would limit the number of phones each customer could buy. They said they were not sure on the number as of yet though.

But what does that tell you? It says to me that someone will be able to buy more then one phone and obviously you wont make them sign up for contracts on each phone.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
So, that begs the question, how will they "require" a two year contract with purchase?

They won't necessarily require a contract with purchase, Im sure they will tell you it is required but it is my understanding that the phone will essentially be locked until you call att to activate. I posted this info in another thread where I stated that by calling Apple.com you can get a definitive response to this.

Example::

Caller: Hi there, I am interested in purchasing an iPhone online later this week but I am wondering how I would activate the phone once I receive it?

Apple Rep: iPhones sold through Apple.com arrive at the customers home with nothing else; just the phone and packaging. The user activates the phone manually at home.

If you do not believe me call, an Apple rep and ask the same question.

dirtyd

Jun 20, 2007
apparently, the Apple store here in indianapolis cannot activate phones due to a policy that the mall it is housed in has. this may very well be the situation with other Apple stores in malls.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
What's kinda funny is that it doesn't mention this anywhere on the iPhone web site. I know it was part of the January keynote and the initial TV ads, but I haven't seen it since. Am I just missing it? Maybe activation, a 2y contract, or service is no longer required to purchase?

tpeter

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
I liked the fact that i thought they would make people sign up when they bought the phone. This was a great way to stop ebayers waiting inline.

If they are not making you sign up for the contract in store which is looks to be they arent, get ready for 300 ebayers to be waiting in line.

thedwp

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
I think it all goes back to having to have an iTunes account and having to activate the phone through iTunes. If that part is true, then God help us all if EVERY person who buys a phone at an ATT store has to set up an iTunes account on the spot! That's scary.

dirtyd

Jun 20, 2007
perhaps the reports that Apple will be scanning the unopened boxes upon purchase are the key. is it possible that you will have to register the phones via serial number at the time of purchase? it also looks likely that AT&T will restrict sales to one per customer (not one per line on your account!) - so i imagine Apple stores will have the same policy as well.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
If you do not believe me call, an Apple rep and ask the same question.
It's not that I don't believe you. I'm just trying to point out that we are getting conflicting "reliable" information.

I hope they DON'T activate at the stores. It'll take forever for them to process everyone.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
I am telling you, go to Apple.com, call the sales line and ask the question I proposed. Apple sales reps have CLEARLY been briefed on this issue as they responded to the question without any hesitation. The only un reliable sources have been "friends uncle who knows a att store manager"......take it for what its worth but I am not going to question Apple sales reps, who in this case know a little bit more than Apple stores or ATT stores.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
^ What they are saying is they believe that the information you provided was what you were told but the reps aren't 100 percent accurate and are not always told everything and tend to make things up.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
I have called Apple reps many times trying to extract new info about various new products and they always give you similar answers: "I am not familiar with that sir", "We have no information on that product at this time".

When asked about this one specific scenario, they CLEARLY have a rehearsed response. This was not a random incident, another member called and I also called, both with the same response.

tbos

Jun 25, 2007
does anyone know if Apple will be activating iPhone in there stores? I heard something about you will just buy the phone and activate it your self? Can anyone confirm this?
I talked to an Apple Rep today and He told me that they are being sold online with no AT&T contact at all. They can be bought and activated at a later date. His name was Phillip, and he was kinda rude.
Tbos