iPhone Activation Trouble

Saint

Bronze
Feb 17, 2008
NJ & NYC
I just received my iPhone in the mail today. I live in Japan. My wife went to the AT&T store and got me pre-approved. I activated it through iTunes and I received emails saying that it is activated and even received my mobile #.

But, a warning came up and said "Signal not dectected, activation not complete". I thought that the iPhone could get a signal anywhere and you would be charged for roaming if you did use it?

Has anyone experienced this? Is my activation really finished, but I just need to be in the states and catch the signal? Any help is appreciated.

Oct 4, 2007
San Francisco
since its not "unlocked" to work with other cell phone carriers, it would need to get an AT&T signal to begin to work.

Saint

Bronze
Feb 17, 2008
NJ & NYC
Ok, I would like it to work with AT&T but I guess there is no signal for AT&T overseas unless you sign up for the World plan or something like that. I thought the way it worked was you would get a AT&T signal anywhere and just be charged roaming if you are out of the coverage area.

Saint

Bronze
Feb 17, 2008
NJ & NYC
That defnitely answered my question. Thank you so much. And, like the link says, I do have the WiFi in Japan so im going to get downloading with some cool stuff. Thanks a lot !