iPhone activation/use with multiple comps

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

GeoBau

Jul 14, 2007
Hello all-- this is my first post here, as I just picked up the phone yesterday and have yet to activate. I have what I believe to be a somewhat unique and troublesome situation:

I bought the phone for work, and will need to keep my Outlook contacts/to do/mail synced up, and all of that info I keep on the office computer. All of my vids, movies, and pics reside on my home computer, however. It'd be nice to also sync my contacts to my home comp.

When I activate the phone, will I need to do it on my office version of iTunes in order to get all of the Outlook info, and then just bring in my media on an external HD? I'd prefer to transfer the media with as little hassle as possible, and in an ideal world I could sync it at home AND at the office. Possible? I've searched around, but have yet to find anything I'd call definitive. Thanks in advance!

G

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Hello all-- this is my first post here, as I just picked up the phone yesterday and have yet to activate. I have what I believe to be a somewhat unique and troublesome situation:

I bought the phone for work, and will need to keep my Outlook contacts/to do/mail synced up, and all of that info I keep on the office computer. All of my vids, movies, and pics reside on my home computer, however. It'd be nice to also sync my contacts to my home comp.

When I activate the phone, will I need to do it on my office version of iTunes in order to get all of the Outlook info, and then just bring in my media on an external HD? I'd prefer to transfer the media with as little hassle as possible, and in an ideal world I could sync it at home AND at the office. Possible? I've searched around, but have yet to find anything I'd call definitive. Thanks in advance!

G
Some have said that you can have your office data checked in the office and it will sync there, but have your music, pics, and video checked on your home version of iTunes and those items will sync to your home computer.

Macster

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Oregon
I have done this, only with a slight twist. I activated my phone on my personal Mac at home, and sync my contacts, music, and photos there. At my businesss we rum PCs with Outlook 2003. I sync my calendar up there, and it works just fine.

I don't see where you would have any problems.

GeoBau

Jul 14, 2007
Excellent-- thanks, guys. Should I activate this at the office then, and I won't have any probs adding it to the home computer, or vice versa?

G

Macster

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Oregon
Excellent-- thanks, guys. Should I activate this at the office then, and I won't have any probs adding it to the home computer, or vice versa?

G
I can't see where it would make a difference. If it is a personal phone, I would start at home, but that is just me.

GeoBau

Jul 14, 2007
All the info for the activation's at the office-- I figured as long as I'm expensing it, I should at least makes its first time at the office. I wasn't sure if the comp on which it was activated would tie it into some ugly, clingy relationship.

I'll be gentle.

G