iPhone addicted, but miss Verizon badly

Shonzz

Mar 2, 2009
Sacramento, CA
I'm a Sacramento, CA Moto Q person, but after buying, trying and falling deeply in love with Apple TV, I just had to try the iPhone. Fell in love instantly with the phone, but I simply can't believe that all of you put up with this crappy service that AT&T has. No joke, at least 50% of my calls are either dropped or the other side is saying that I'm all broken up. They switched out my SIM card at the store, but I'm still having the same issues.

Please tell me your experience is different with AT&T, or I'm going to allow them to tear the iPhone out of my cold, clammy hands before the 30 days is up and go back to WM 6.1 in agony. :eek:

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
i live near houston and my service is just fine. i don't know if it has anything to do with where you live. but ive never had any problems with att..

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
service is great in metro detroit as well. i'll admit when i switched from verizon to AT&T for the iPhone i was a little skeptical, but i honestly have not noticed a bit of difference. i have traveled all over the US (vegas, dc, florida, san fran, LA, ohio...to name a few) and haven't really experienced many problems. it sucks that you are having issues, perhaps try to get them to swap out your iPhone for you before the 30 days is up, could be a potential problem as i was all up and down sonoma, napa, alexander valley and never had a problem (somewhat close to sactown).

Hookem99

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
Deep in the heart of Texas
I'm a Sacramento, CA Moto Q person, but after buying, trying and falling deeply in love with Apple TV, I just had to try the iPhone. Fell in love instantly with the phone, but I simply can't believe that all of you put up with this crappy service that AT&T has. No joke, at least 50% of my calls are either dropped or the other side is saying that I'm all broken up. They switched out my SIM card at the store, but I'm still having the same issues.

Please tell me your experience is different with AT&T, or I'm going to allow them to tear the iPhone out of my cold, clammy hands before the 30 days is up and go back to WM 6.1 in agony. :eek:

I feel you! I would go back to Verizon in a heartbeat if they had iPhone! My ATT service is really bad here in Austin! Dropped calls and no 3g all the time and no one seems to be able to tell me why!

Also, I have relatives that live up the hill from you in Grass Valley. I was out there in January, and the only time I had usable service was in Sacto. They are all on VZ! Good Luck!

Shonzz

Mar 2, 2009
Sacramento, CA
Thanks! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy. I've heard rumors that Verizon is getting the iPhone in June, but that's speculation since Apple has been hiring CDMA (VZW's system type) engineers.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
In the end, it really depends on how you are using your device. Instead of cancelling my existing VZW contract, I chose to upgrade my drawered-feature phone to a BB Storm. Sure, the Storm is not an iPhone, but that is not why I wanted it.

Where I live, AT&T coverage is 3G, but Spotty. Places I travel to typically have had 3G. If not, EDGE has been strong. I love my iPhone for the features it truly is strong - media; GUI for apps, etc. Call coverage, ability to have unlimited texting and mobile calling were strong drivers for me to renew my VZW contract.

The Storm is shaping up to be the perfect complement to my iPhone.

Hookem99

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
Deep in the heart of Texas
Thanks! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy. I've heard rumors that Verizon is getting the iPhone in June, but that's speculation since Apple has been hiring CDMA (VZW's system type) engineers.
That would be great, but since ATT has the rights till 2010, I doubt it would happen!

My wife and I both have and LOVE iPhone, but ATT just sucks. My wife used hers for her businesss line, but I had to get her a VZ crackberry, since it was next to impossible to hold a 15 minute conversation with clients with out drop outs. Not very professional!

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Don't wait on VZW getting the iPhone. VZW will be shifting to LTE within two years. Early phones wil have the capability for EVDO-RevA as well. I would bank on seeing an LTE compatible iPhone, possibly sold as unlocked, available for use on any LTE network.

Devori

Jun 15, 2007
Long island NY
Make sure you power cycle your phone at least once a day.. and all will be well

March 25
The importance of power-cycling
Hey folks.

If I may, I'd like to take a second here to make an important public service announcement that I hope all wireless phone users will keep in mind: Regularly power-cycle your phone.

I recommend once or twice a day, minimum. Take your phone, turn it off for about 30 seconds and turn it back on. You'd be surprised how often that will fix those dropped calls, delayed voice/text messages and other "Network Errors". Trust me people, I've been in the wireless industry for 6 years.

I know, I know, you never turn your phone off because you just may miss an important call. If you have voicemail then why are you worried? It's only 30 seconds, people. Twice a day. More so if you happen to be roaming out of your home area. If you drove from Vancouver to Halifax (or maybe from California to New York) without turning your phone off, the network will have a hard time finding you. It's true.

The average range of a cell tower is anywhere from 1 to 20 kilometers, depending on what's around it. For every so many towers there's a switching station that processes all the calls going through the towers. Every now and then, calls and text messages and ringtones and such will get stuck.

Also, think about this: There are MILLIONS of wireless customers all trying to share the same towers. The company I work for has 54 million customers! Sometimes the system gets a little plugged up. When you turn your phone off, then back on, your phone will automatically search for the best available connection to the network. So if you're talking to your friend and y*crackle crackle* sudde*crackle*y drop the call, don't swear and throw your phone into the lake (the warranty department won't help you AT ALL). Just turn it off for a few seconds, you don't even have to wait the full 30 seconds, 20 will do just fine.

There you go. No need to bother the customer service reps at the call centers. We're trying to sleep.

atx512

Mar 10, 2009
I feel you! I would go back to Verizon in a heartbeat if they had iPhone! My ATT service is really bad here in Austin! Dropped calls and no 3g all the time and no one seems to be able to tell me why!

Also, I have relatives that live up the hill from you in Grass Valley. I was out there in January, and the only time I had usable service was in Sacto. They are all on VZ! Good Luck!
the service does suck in austin, 3g is so flakey and I usually only get 5 bars in the westlake area.

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
No problem for me... sorry to hear about the phone issues. I don't think any phone is worth crappy phone service. I'd bite the bullet and go back.

Arcangel2176

Silver
Jul 24, 2007
yes the NJ, NY, PA corridor I do has always full bars and always 3G so im happier than a pig in ****!

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
I've got both Verizon and AT&T and IMO there about the same... they both suck!

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I've got both Verizon and AT&T and IMO there about the same... they both suck!
There is much truth to what you're saying. Carriers either offer poor device selections, or rotten coverage. At least they all charge the same high prices!

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
I live in Lubbock Tx and my service and coverage is great now. i have 3g everywhere in Lubbock though working in Amarillo they don't have 3g yet.

Im surprised to hear about the troubles in Austin, when i have been there for work my coverage there has been good too .

DavidT

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Baltimore MD
Here in MD the service (ATT) is now fine 3G all the way (outside of Baltimore). I made the switch from VZ to ATT not because of the service but simply I was tired of waiting for phones from VZ, and once I got them I was tired of the lack of features.