iPhone address book dilemma

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

jayeden

Sep 13, 2007
here the situation

im coming from a blackberry - i did a backup of my blackberry, which is saved in a .ipd format

how can i extract the info out of the .ipd into outlook so that i can eventually sync a dress book i create with outlook to my iPhone

as well, is syncing my oulook address book with the iPhone even effective or will i spend hours cleaning crap up-

whats my best bet? is there a 3rd party program that creates a nice iPhone address book that i can sync? can i DL a add-on for iTunes that builds my contacts into there?

Please advise,

Jaye D.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
here the situation

im coming from a blackberry - i did a backup of my blackberry, which is saved in a .ipd format

how can i extract the info out of the .ipd into outlook so that i can eventually sync a dress book i create with outlook to my iPhone

as well, is syncing my oulook address book with the iPhone even effective or will i spend hours cleaning crap up-

whats my best bet? is there a 3rd party program that creates a nice iPhone address book that i can sync? can i DL a add-on for iTunes that builds my contacts into there?

Please advise,

Jaye D.
I don't think there is any 3rd party program that does that. I had reenter all my contacts by hand. It was time consuming, but I enjoyed assigning them a pic and a home-made ringtone.

RyanP

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
I'm not sure if this works, or if it's worth $20 to you, but it says it will convert ipd to any other format. You could convert it to csv and import it to Outlook like that:
http://www.processtext.com/abcblackberry.html

And unfortunately I don't know of any other way to sync contacts than Outlook (assuming you are on a Windows machine). I find it ironic given how anti-Microsoft Apple tries to be. I would love if they came out with a way to sync contacts and calendars to Gmail/Google.

iChristian

Bronze
May 28, 2008
You can do it on an Address Book for instance if you have a Mac and put them on your computer. Or if you have another computer I'm sure there's an address book feature or email contact list where you can sync it to your iPhone. If you think its too complicated just do it by hand.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
I'm not sure if this works, or if it's worth $20 to you, but it says it will convert ipd to any other format. You could convert it to csv and import it to Outlook like that:
http://www.processtext.com/abcblackberry.html

And unfortunately I don't know of any other way to sync contacts than Outlook (assuming you are on a Windows machine). I find it ironic given how anti-Microsoft Apple tries to be. I would love if they came out with a way to sync contacts and calendars to Gmail/Google.
You can sync contacts with Google just not calendars yet.

dgarza

Aug 18, 2008
got it done easily...sync my blackberry to outlook and then outlook to iPhone now all my contacts are good to go...took 4 minutes for all contacts...beats hand inputting them any day...

RyanP

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
You can sync contacts with Google just not calendars yet.
I don't think this is true for Windows users (though it's supported on Mac OS X 10.5.3). I'd love to learn I was wrong on that, though I'm not having luck finding anything about it online.

RyanP

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
My apologies to MileHighRob! You can now sync contacts to Google contacts on Windows...that made my night. One more chain to Outlook cut...I'll keep my fingers crossed on the Google calendar syncing! Thanks, Rob.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
My apologies to MileHighRob! You can now sync contacts to Google contacts on Windows...that made my night. One more chain to Outlook cut...I'll keep my fingers crossed on the Google calendar syncing! Thanks, Rob.
No problem Ryan. It's actually been an option for Windows users from day one.