iPhone Advice...

LarsDR

Apr 12, 2009
I have a couple of questions or concerns and I was hoping someone here might be able to help me...?

I don't have an iPhone yet, but am planning on purchasing one soon. My contract expires with my current provider at the end of next month so I was planning on purchasing an iPhone then. But, here's my dilemma:

Should I purchase an iPhone 3G after my current plan is up, or should I wait until June or July when (most likely) the new iPhone is released?

I don't mind waiting, since it will only be about a month or 2, but I am really tired of my current provider and my phone. If I don't wait and get the current iPhone 3G, does anyone know if I will be able to upgrade? And, if so, how much you think it might cost to upgrade? I know Apple hasn't announced anything yet, but what did they do for customers who had the first iPhone who then wanted a 3G after its release?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
It's pretty much all but confirmed that there will be a new iPhone this summer, personally I would wait. If you guy an iPhone now...you may or may not be able to upgrade when the new iPhone comes out, no one really knows. Original iPone owners were allowed to upgrade to the 3G at the subsidized price and extend their contract for 2 years, but there is no guarantee that AT&T will do this for us. Personally I do not think that they will, but you never know.

Terry M.

Contributor
Silver
Feb 27, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa
I'm hoping they will subsidize for the new phone too. I've had the 3G for about a month and a half now. May I suggest getting a pay as you go phone simply to get rid of your current phone and wait out the new version?

originalg00kster

Bronze
Mar 19, 2009
dude im in the same dilemma as you hahahaha. i think im just gonna get a cheap 3g outside of at&T and just add the plan without the contract. i'll see whats up..

LarsDR

Apr 12, 2009
I think I'm just going to wait and see what they announce in June and then make a decision. I'm okay with my current plan and phone, I just really want an iPhone. Ha.

I hope they don't make it so you can only get the new one at Apple stores. The closest Apple store is kind of far from me, but there is an AT&T store that is close. I am really hoping that as soon as they announce the release date, or even when it's released, I can just order one online and take it to AT&T to activate it. I'm just not one to camp out or wait in huge lines for anything... ya know?