iPhone after At&t and O2 contracts

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

draperm25

Sep 16, 2007
Swansea
Hi All,

I know that the iPhone is locked to At&t for 2years and O2 for 18months (When it comes out), but what happens to your phone AFTER that time, what if you don't want to carry on with your contract after your 2yrs/18months, does the phone go back to At&t and O2 and they give you ,the money that you paid upfront for the phone, back, or can you keep the phone and use it as a PAYG phone? Or do you just lose the phone cos you cant use it again, and lose out the the money that you paid for it.

Just a question that i think we need aswering before we go into these contract? :confused:

ciaran00

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Apparently Jobs will save you. Somehow.

Yeah, there is no official answer. You would have to be comfortable with all the handwaving.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
The AT&T sim-lock will probably be in place for the life of your iPhone. As long as you use software updates provided through iTunes, they will be able to disable your phone.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
well, i do think that this should be told to every customer before they get into the contract
ditto. i don't think they have the right (or should have the right) to lock your phone AFTER your contract is up...

THIS sounds like something you can sue for

and thanks to the original poster, i liked this thread

goblues38

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
THIS sounds like something you can sue for

Because the world doesn't have enough dumb lawsuits already. It's a phone people...relax....in 2 years it's gonna be worthless anyway.

Seriously, how many people do you know keep phones much longer than 2 years who actually use them.

jbone108

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
Because the world doesn't have enough dumb lawsuits already. It's a phone people...relax....in 2 years it's gonna be worthless anyway.

Seriously, how many people do you know keep phones much longer than 2 years who actually use them.

Most of the time my I've killed my phone by 18 months

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
This is one of the longest times I've had one phone and it's been since June 29, but the only replacement I would possibly consider now is iPhone 2.0 so hopefully it'll be out somewhat soon.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston

i'm not saying i would do it, AND yeah, i've never had a phone for longer than a year..

and now with the rumored iPhone2 i might not make it to the 2yr mark again -.-