iPhone alarm - reduce volume without affecting the ring

jo_06

Aug 26, 2009
I just figured this out, and had to post!

Looking at reducing the alarm volume without affecting the ring volume, i.e. have the alarm on low, but ringer on high? here it goes:

1. Create a 'ring tone' in iTunes
2. Reduce the volume to low (right click, get info, options, volume adjustment) - then transfer this to iPhone

Done! :)

Spikefood

Bronze
Oct 3, 2007
Why would you want an alarm that is hard to hear, seems to defeat the purpose of an alarm. Just set your ringer volume up all the way and then put the phone into vibrate. Any alarm will just bypass the vibrate setting going to what ever your current ringer volume is.

monkeysrock0622

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
Why would you want an alarm that is hard to hear, seems to defeat the purpose of an alarm. Just set your ringer volume up all the way and then put the phone into vibrate. Any alarm will just bypass the vibrate setting going to what ever your current ringer volume is.
Maybe you know you are going to be in a place where a loud piercing ringtone is unacceptable, or everyone will look at you. I wouldn't use an alarm like that but thats one way you could use it.

And by the way, your suggestion is the opposite of what the OP wants. He said he wants a quiet alarm but loud call tone so setting it in vibrate would defeat the purpose of that.