iPhone Alternatives

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

comcipher

Jun 8, 2007
Now before everybody goes crazy defending the iPhone in all it's glory, let me just say this is a constructive thread that has nothing to do with bashing the iPhone or anything like that.

This thread is intended so people can suggest alternatives to the iPhone.

We all know it's going to be great, but it's always a good idea to evaluate the alternatives.

Nokia N95
The main device I found that would be an alternative choice would be the Nokia N95. It's got a 5 Megapixel camera, can do all the standard jazz like play mp3's, and includes GPS.

The downsides are the battery life could be better at 8 hours talk time and about a day of stand by. Also no touch screen and the interface could be a bit better. Rather pricy at $750.

So what alternate phones out there do you guys know about?

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
I bet you are the same person as the guy who started this thread. Nobody on this board cares about any other phone except the iPhone. Thats why this website and forum isn't called everythingN95.

Last edited by a moderator:

comcipher

Jun 8, 2007
I bet you are the same person as the guy who started this thread. Nobody on this board cares about any other phone except the iPhone. Thats why this website and forum isn't called everythingN95.
Actually I'm not the same person. I just thought I would see if anyone knew of anything else out there that could compete with the device, but I now realize that this forum is for rabid Apple fans only and even questioning if there are any alternatives out there is just ludicrous. My bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Actually I'm not the same person. I just thought I would see if anyone knew of anything else out there that could compete with the device, but I now realize that this forum is for rabid Apple fans only and even questioning if there are any alternatives out there is just ludicrous. My bad.
Good to see that you've come to your senses. You're excused. LOL

iphonenut

Bronze
May 17, 2007
the n95 looks pretty whack. as someone described quite accurately, it's like manipulating a rubik's cube with all the sliding and flipping you have to do.

if the iPhone never existed, i'd be looking at a blackberry, or blackjack.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
the n95 looks pretty whack. as someone described quite accurately, it's like manipulating a rubik's cube with all the sliding and flipping you have to do.

if the iPhone never existed, i'd be looking at a blackberry, or blackjack.
I've owned a blackjack.. if i wasn't waiting on the iPhone, i'd definitely get another one. I had one, and I kept it about 4 days. Loved it. But, i suddenly realized everything I loved about it, was gonna be done WAY better on the iPhone....I sold it while it was still the "hot item".

shift_2kmaxima

Bronze
Jun 9, 2007
well, if iPhone screws me over...iam def. going to get n95
it looks like a sweet phone, and a 5mp camera is just crazy on a cellphone....
but yeah if there are other phones that are similar to n95 or even better..let us know...cause' not everyone is going to be able to pay 700 some bucks for an iPhone and 80/month....i don't earn that much and iam only eighteen :(

thx

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
The N95 seems like a good enough phone and I've heard from some people that do nothing but talk about how GREAT it is but it just seems too large and cumbersome, unlike the beautiful iPhone.

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net
Yup, the N95 could be a close competitor to the iPhone. If there was no iPhone it is definitely a phone I would consider. Oh, and also the HTC Touch which was just released the other day. However there is one key feature, the killer ap IMO, that no other phone will match... non-liner voicemail access.

Right now with every phone you have to listen to voicemail in order. You can't jump around, you can't listen to the last one first for example without going through all the other ones. iPhone will allow you to do that. It will be just like email, you see a list of voicemails and listen to the ones you want in any order you want.

This is the killer ap, this is what no other phone will be able to do for at least 6 months, probably a year. So yeah, the N95 and the HTC Touch are good phones, maybe a better phones (on paper) but it won't have non-linear voicemail.

- SR

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
I looked for other alternatives when I found out in January that I would have to wait yet another 5 months, now 6, for the iPhone.

I found this...

Top Ten List of iPhone Competitors (actually 9 - well really 8)

There's not much. There's one duplicate and 3 concept phones so that only leaves us with 5

Samsung F700
Prada phone
Neonode N2
miniOne (looks a LOT like the iPhone)
And OpenMoko Neo1973

The most promising to me is the OpenMoko (it's on the top 10 twice - LOL), (think smaller 100% open source single-touch touchscreen iPhone on Linux for $300).

But it's not out either.

The n95 looks alright, but isn't it tri-band? It won't work on AT&T.
A recently added competitor is the HTC Touch. But it's no competition either.

Really, either wait for the OpenMoko, or the iPhone. iPhone comes out first.

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net
Nokia media Transfer

Nokia has just announced Nokia Media Transfer 1.0 Beta

http://europe.nokia.com/A4423135

Looks like it links Nokia N series phones to applications on a Mac, including iPhoto and iTunes, to transfer media files. It causes the phone to appear in iPhoto as a digital camera for transferring photos and videos and works with iTunes to transfer songs, podcasts, and videos. Nokia Media Transfer is a Universal Binary available for Mac OS X 10.4.9 and up.

This brings the N95 up another notch against an iPhone iMO. Still no non-linear voicemail though.

- SR

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Nokia has just announced Nokia Media Transfer 1.0 Beta

http://europe.nokia.com/A4423135

Looks like it links Nokia N series phones to applications on a Mac, including iPhoto and iTunes, to transfer media files. It causes the phone to appear in iPhoto as a digital camera for transferring photos and videos and works with iTunes to transfer songs, podcasts, and videos. Nokia Media Transfer is a Universal Binary available for Mac OS X 10.4.9 and up.

This brings the N95 up another notch against an iPhone iMO. Still no non-linear voicemail though.

- SR
Thanks for the heads up on the Nokia N95. Nokias are great phones. I've owned three in the last 15 years, but they seem to have been passed by Motorola and the other makers as far as popularity. The N95 my change that.

I also like that term non-linear voicemail.:) First time I've seen that.

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net
Steve went over the non-linear voicemail in the Keynote back in January. My mouth hit the floor when I saw it. It will be the Killer Ap.

Here is the quote from the Apple website

"And it lets you select and listen to voicemail messages in whatever order you want — just like email."

Other phones like the N95 and HTC Touch may match or even exceed the features of the iPhone but they won't really be alternatives.

Look at the iPod, there are other music players that beat and or exceed the iPod on features. More space, better sound quality, more formats etc.... But still it is How the iPod does what it does that makes it define the market.

- SR