iPhone always dying!

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by rjkgr, Aug 14, 2013.

1. rjkgr

rjkgr Member
    Bronze

Does anyone else battery drain while on it for like 3 hours?

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Are you jailbroken? If so, then you may want to check which tweaks are being used. I had a few that drained my battery significantly.

If you are not jailbroken, what are you doing while using your iPhone 5? I know for a fact now that talking on the phone and listening to music for a long period of time will drain your battery.

Sent using iCafe app

3. rjkgr

rjkgr Member
    Bronze

okay... How can you tell which one is draining your battey?

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Is it dying when it's in standby for three hours or after three hours of usage? What type of usage? Does it happen right after a reboot as well?

5. rjkgr

rjkgr Member
    Bronze

i have not rebooted anything, i don't knowhow to lol and after three hours usage. texting, fb, sometimes games. thats about it

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I get about four and a half hours of usage with cellular Internet. I don't do any gaming. That could drain it even more. Try rebooting once in a while to see if that helps. Press and hold the power button and the power off option will appear. I'd also do a hard reset right now. Press the power button and the home button at the same time until you see the Apple logo.

7. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

This is the same with me. I was at 97% this morning at 6:30, and now it's 12:45 in the afternoon and my iPhone 5 is at 26%. I've been listening to music, using Facebook and texting. The music was on the music app and Pandora. So I understand in my case. I caused my battery to drain big time.

Sent using iCafe app

8. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Ive noticed my battery dying faster on 6.1.4 even worse then when I had the device jb

9. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I'm not sure as for me. But I do know that the iPhone uses a little bit of battery even not when in use. Not much but a few percent. I'm now at 11% since 6:30 this morning.

Actually I have noticed in the last few days that even when my iPhone is at 0%, I can still use it for 5-10 minutes. That definitely means the battery percentage is not accurate for sure. However, sometimes my iPhone completely dies with 10% left. It's good though to let it die on its own and then fully charge it in one sitting.

Sent using iCafe app

10. rjkgr

rjkgr Member
    Bronze

try closing you apps, but i see that too even when I don't use it.

11. rjkgr

rjkgr Member
    Bronze

I been on pandora too, and my phone is at 60% but its only been 2 hours and is it because i jailbroke it?

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Streaming music will cause more battery drain that standby because the phone is in use the whole time. Jailbreak apps and tweaks can certainly increase battery drain even more. We'd have to have a list of everything you've installed in Cydia to makes guesses on the other possible culprits.

13. rjkgr

rjkgr Member
    Bronze

Honestly im not a tech guy really lol, my friend does all of it for me and i only see him on weekends? so i mean i can get a list or i can ask him?

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

So you don't know what jailbreak tweaks and apps he has installed on your phone? It sounds like you don't need the jailbreak if you don't know what's there or how to view the list of installed programs. I would restore it and remove the jailbreak if you don't need it or use it.

15. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

You could definitely inform us of what jailbreak tweaks and or apps you have. From my experience just in the last few days, I can spot a tweak that will drain the battery, pretty quickly. One tweak is "accelerate" that I removed yesterday. This will drain the battery significantly depending on what setting you have it set on. This is due to it being used all the time when you're using your iPhone.

Sent using iCafe app

16. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

My advice is restore as new, do not jailbreak if you're not familiar with the process and potential pitfalls. Once you restore as new chances are your battery will return to normal.

17. rjkgr

rjkgr Member
    Bronze

i do have accelerate! but i do know what i have on my phone but idk how to get it?

18. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

You have accelerate or you do not have it? If you do have it, check your settings for accelerate and let us know what the speed is set to. I tested this myself, and the top speed definitely will hurt your battery big time. Even a middle speed could be affecting you.

To see a list of everything you have installed in Cydia, first open Cydia and then go to "Manage" and then "Packages." From here you can let us know what you have installed, preferably tweaks, and or you can view what each one does.

Sent using iCafe app

19. Jerome G

Jerome G Member
    Bronze

So if he uses biteSMS and sbsettings and likes them and just doesn't realize they are jailbreak apps/tweaks then he should restore and remove the jailbreak ?
    Not the best advice IMO

Getting back on topic, yeah, the battery life is not the best on the 5, hopefully the next one will be better. I think my 4S had longer battery life, even with the jailbreak.

Sent using iCafe app

#19 Jerome G, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  20. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

No probs with the battery life on my 5: ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1376622519.517504.jpg