iPhone and 64 bit Vista

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

theraker007

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
Is there no work around for getting the iPhone to work with this OS? Everytime i open iTunes i get an error message that it isn't installed properly (because it doesn't even seem like iTunes was made for vista 64x) and then when i dock the iPhone it says please connect to a computer running 32x windows

jayeden

Sep 13, 2007
Is there no work around for getting the iPhone to work with this OS? Everytime i open iTunes i get an error message that it isn't installed properly (because it doesn't even seem like iTunes was made for vista 64x) and then when i dock the iPhone it says please connect to a computer running 32x windows

i have windows vista ultimate...i got an iPhone, it is being unlocked irght now...

should i expect problems when i go to hook it up?

jayeden

Sep 13, 2007
if its the 64x version, u wont be able to sync anything, unless theres a workaround i don't know about yet

i don't think it is...im pretty sure its just the regular..im running on a imb thinkpad laptop, so i don't even think i could handle 64 bit verion,

am i wrong to assume im running 32?

Aug 28, 2007
just get XP its a lot better than vista, i recommend media center SP2, unless your a torrenter, SP2 gives you problems with that..

theraker007

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
no one else gets a message saying please connect iPhone to a computer running a 32-bit version of windows xp (SP2) or Windows Vista?

Ron Walter

Aug 29, 2007
Northern CA
Windows Vista 64 Bit

i also have windows vista 64 X so if i got an iPhone i couldn't sync it?
Yes, as far as I can tell by searching the forums, there isn't a work around - I'm really disappointed;

I'm hoping that Apple will fix the problem, but as pointed out in a number of threads, 64 bit Vista doesn't have much market share, so maybe the guys at Apple are just yawnin.

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Apple peeps, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the impending Leopard os is 64 bit. I imagine once it hits the shelves there will soon be a compatible Vista 64 iTunes version = problem solved - hopefully...

The other question that keeps nagging me about this repetitive question is the 32 bit emulation mode embedded in Vista 64. Does that not work? I can't tell you just how close i came to jumping to 64 bit architecture with my newest computer. My next desktop will definitely be a 64 bit RAM totin' hoss for image work. As it stands, my Santa Rosa based laptop with 4gb running LightRoom and CS3 is more than fast enough, but my next camera will undoubtedly shoot larger than 16mp images. They'll need plenty of room to spread out in there when open and working...

Aug 29, 2007
Northern CA
Apple peeps, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the impending Leopard os is 64 bit. I imagine once it hits the shelves there will soon be a compatible Vista 64 iTunes version = problem solved - hopefully...

The other question that keeps nagging me about this repetitive question is the 32 bit emulation mode embedded in Vista 64. Does that not work? I can't tell you just how close i came to jumping to 64 bit architecture with my newest computer. My next desktop will definitely be a 64 bit RAM totin' hoss for image work. As it stands, my Santa Rosa based laptop with 4gb running LightRoom and CS3 is more than fast enough, but my next camera will undoubtedly shoot larger than 16mp images. They'll need plenty of room to spread out in there when open and working...
I don't know - just guessing - I think Apple could have created an iTunes 32 bit version for 64 bit Vista, but for some reason has chosen not to. Seems strange, because I don't think it is difficult - since lots of other application owner's have done that. Maybe a knowledgeable programmar can correct me

vincopp

Jan 3, 2008
Yes, There Is A Workaround For iPhone And 64bit

YES, there is a workaround and it's quite simple. I bought a computer recently with 64bit Vista pre-installed. I didn't want to just downgrade to 32bit in order to get iPhone to work because I felt that some of the drivers on the computer wouldn't function properly if I did that. So I just simply created a Partition on my hard drive (created an additional hard drive on my current computer) and installed Vista 32bit on that hard drive. So now my computer runs both 64 bit and 32bit. My iTunes and iPhone sync up well and I have no problems running both systems. The way the partition works is that now when I turn on my computer, it asks me whether I want to run 32bit or 64 bit. When I want to sync my iPhone I am sure to run it in 32bit. When I'm just on the computer regularly doing work or on the internet, I'll run the computer with 64 bit. I took me about 1 hour to got through the steps of installing 32 bit, creating the partition, setting up iTunes so I'm using the same directory whether I'm in 32 or 64 bit. this is important so that I can log onto iTunes in both 32 and 64 bit and download music etc and it saves it to the same iTunes library. However, once again, the iPhone will only sync when 32 bit is running so after I download anything on iTunes I usually restart the computer to run 32 bit, sync up, and then go back to 64 bit.

Hope this helps. I too was frustrated when the iPhone wouldn't work wtih 64 bit so I did some research and realized that this is the only way to go if you want an iPhone and you have 64 bit. So spend the extra $200 or so and get Vista 32bit (or XP), create a partition and you're all set without having to get rid of your 64 bit which will eventually gain in popularity in the future.

Focker-out!

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Great work-a-round...this has been a problem for many (even with 32bit) so thanks.

Also welcome to the forum EIC.:)

YES, there is a workaround and it's quite simple. I bought a computer recently with 64bit Vista pre-installed. I didn't want to just downgrade to 32bit in order to get iPhone to work because I felt that some of the drivers on the computer wouldn't function properly if I did that. So I just simply created a Partition on my hard drive (created an additional hard drive on my current computer) and installed Vista 32bit on that hard drive. So now my computer runs both 64 bit and 32bit. My iTunes and iPhone sync up well and I have no problems running both systems. The way the partition works is that now when I turn on my computer, it asks me whether I want to run 32bit or 64 bit. When I want to sync my iPhone I am sure to run it in 32bit. When I'm just on the computer regularly doing work or on the internet, I'll run the computer with 64 bit. I took me about 1 hour to got through the steps of installing 32 bit, creating the partition, setting up iTunes so I'm using the same directory whether I'm in 32 or 64 bit. this is important so that I can log onto iTunes in both 32 and 64 bit and download music etc and it saves it to the same iTunes library. However, once again, the iPhone will only sync when 32 bit is running so after I download anything on iTunes I usually restart the computer to run 32 bit, sync up, and then go back to 64 bit.

Hope this helps. I too was frustrated when the iPhone wouldn't work wtih 64 bit so I did some research and realized that this is the only way to go if you want an iPhone and you have 64 bit. So spend the extra $200 or so and get Vista 32bit (or XP), create a partition and you're all set without having to get rid of your 64 bit which will eventually gain in popularity in the future.

Focker-out!

Ron Walter

Aug 29, 2007
Northern CA
Great work-a-round...this has been a problem for many (even with 32bit) so thanks.

Also welcome to the forum EIC.:)
Again thanks!

In my opinion, it is pissy :mad:that we have to pay for another version of Vista (or XP) in order to sync the iPhone. I've decided to wait a little longer to see if Apple does the right thing and provides 64 bit support. I ain't holding my breath though.