iPhone and car AUX

mcaram16

Silver
Jul 26, 2007
Long Island, NY
Has anyone tried plugging there iPhone into there car stereo via AUX successfuly? I was thinking that it would definitely work with the Ipod part of the iPhone and possibly even the phone when your on calls by hearing my calls over my car speakers but no such luck on either account......anyone get this to work?

randyg

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
I've hooked mine up to my MINI Cooper S and it works great. I found a patch cable at the Apple Store that worked.

mcaram16

Silver
Jul 26, 2007
Long Island, NY
I've hooked mine up to my MINI Cooper S and it works great. I found a patch cable at the Apple Store that worked.

Has it always worked or only after the update? I haven't tried it since the update....the AUX cable i'm using worked on my old IPOD so i would assume it should work on the iPhone as well....

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
my aux cord is to large to plug into the phone. So for right now, I use my iPhone dock. I will use it until I buy an adapter. It is cumbersome but it gets the job done. Sounds good though!

randyg

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
my aux cord is to large to plug into the phone. So for right now, I use my iPhone dock. I will use it until I buy an adapter. It is cumbersome but it gets the job done. Sounds good though!
I bought one last week at the Apple store (Monster I think) and it works great.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
I bought one last week at the Apple store (Monster I think) and it works great.
Does it have the rca's next to the aux plug? Sounds like you got the iCable. Since I already have an aux cable, I will just have to get an adapter. Probably from belkin. But if a powered car dock pops up anytime soon, I will probably get that. I would much rather put my phone on a dock and charge and listen all in one without stray cables. Who knows if and when that will happen though.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Also try checking Crutchfield.com for an adapter for your car stereo. It won't offer call interaction, but all iPod functions will work fine.

randyg

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
Does it have the rca's next to the aux plug? Sounds like you got the iCable. Since I already have an aux cable, I will just have to get an adapter. Probably from belkin. But if a powered car dock pops up anytime soon, I will probably get that. I would much rather put my phone on a dock and charge and listen all in one without stray cables. Who knows if and when that will happen though.
The one I bought is strictly a patch cable, headphone plug to headphone plug. (sorry, I don't know the official name of that kind of plug) The AUX input in my MINI takes that sort of plug. I also have the BMW/MINI iPod adapter that allows me to slip my iPod into a dock that goes in the glove box and lets me control the iPod via steering wheel controls. The iPhone works in that too, except that with the iPhone in the glove box it's kinda useless as a phone...duh!

BIGTIMEBALLER504

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
i got my iPhone and i was excited to try it in my x5 bmw it has the axuilry hole but the the part were the wire connects to the iPhone headphone jack the wires head ws 2 fat so it wasent going in all the way =[ i gota buy an adapter so im not sure if it works yet

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
It's actually quite easy to hack off the plastic necessary to make a compatible cable. My Pioneer deck is connected to a Radio Shack rca-> 1/8" adapter which filed down nicely.

If you're dealing with a factory aux cable (such as a proprietary plug on one end) and you don't want to mess with it, you might get an extension cable (from RadioShack or somewhere else) and use that. At least that way you get another cable out of it, too instead of just a ridiculous adapter.

randyg

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
i got my iPhone and i was excited to try it in my x5 bmw it has the axuilry hole but the the part were the wire connects to the iPhone headphone jack the wires head ws 2 fat so it wasent going in all the way =[ i gota buy an adapter so im not sure if it works yet
Here's what I got at the Apple Store: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ipod/review/monster-icable-for-car-ipod-iphone/
It works perfect with iPhone and iPods. Looks good and no shaving necessary.