iPhone and GMail -- help!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

MaineWriter

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
I am trying to add an GMail account. I select, "add new account" and choose GMail from the list. The only options I have are to enter my name, email address, and password. I know all of these data items are correct.

It goes to validate the account. First it says it can't connect through SSL. Do I want to continue? I select yes.

Then I get a message, "GMail account verification failed. The POP server "pop.gmail.com" is not responding. Check your network connection and that you entered the correct information in the "incoming mail server" field.

I know my wireless is connected. I had this problem at my office (where the Wifi is iffy) and at home (where the Wifi is perfect).

I didn't enter any information in the "incoming mail server" field so I am not sure how to address that issue.

Help!

MW

Conan

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
You need to allow POP access in you google mail account setting "Forwarding and POP"...
ya, Login to your gmail account, hit settings then click on the "Forwarding and POP" button and click on the "Enable POP for all mail" button and hit save changes. then reinput your info into the iPhone and it will work.

MaineWriter

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
ya, Login to your gmail account, hit settings then click on the "Forwarding and POP" button and click on the "Enable POP for all mail" button and hit save changes. then reinput your info into the iPhone and it will work.

Thank you! Yes, it seems to be working! Thanks!

MW

colombianito

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007

did this and still doesn't work for me... hellllllppppppp ...

:mad::mad::mad:

Sep 21, 2007
did this and still doesn't work for me... hellllllppppppp ...

:mad::mad::mad:
Make sure pop mail is enabled in gmail preferences
delete the account on the iPhone
toggle airplane mode for 10 seconds or hard reset the phone.
go back in add the account on the iPhone
when it asks if you want to try with ssl turned off select yes.
that should work

confirm internet access in safari
and also log into gmail on your comp to verify settings.
if that fails restore the phone. If you have internet access and your using gmail it should work. I have set it up several times and gmail is the ONLY pre installed provider that i have never had a problem with.

Good luck

colombianito

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
I am trying to add an GMail account. I select, "add new account" and choose GMail from the list. The only options I have are to enter my name, email address, and password. I know all of these data items are correct.

It goes to validate the account. First it says it can't connect through SSL. Do I want to continue? I select yes.

Then I get a message, "GMail account verification failed. The POP server "pop.gmail.com" is not responding. Check your network connection and that you entered the correct information in the "incoming mail server"

i have tried this multiple time, restarted my phone few times also...went to gmail form my home computer and all just to make sure i had selected the right settings...

everything i would say...

i am not able to delete any account from the phone since i have not been able to create any... i only have gmail and so this is the only one i am trying to set up... help please.

Conan

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
i have tried this multiple time, restarted my phone few times also...went to gmail form my home computer and all just to make sure i had selected the right settings...

i am not able to delete any account from the phone since i have not been able to create any... i only have gmail and so this is the only one i am trying to set up... help please.
if you are getting SSL error. Enable POP in settings of Gmail for all mail. then restart your iPhone and reenter your info. don't forget to save changes on gmail.

Sep 21, 2007

Hmmmmmm....the fact that you have never been able to even save the settings makes me think it's a software issue. Have you tried creating a hotmail or yahoo account to see if it's just gmail with the problem? If one of those work you could forward all gmail to an alternate addy.

maybe go in and instead of selecting gmail in Mail-->settings-->add account choose other.

Try
incoming: pop.gmail.com:995
outgoing: smtp.gmail.com:465
username:Usually everything before the @.
Password: login
Leave username and password blank under outgoing mail server

Try to save

if that won't stick change outgoing to cwmx.com

Have you tried a full restore in iTunes?

colombianito

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
if you are getting SSL error. Enable POP in settings of Gmail for all mail. then restart your iPhone and reenter your info. don't forget to save changes on gmail.

noooo waaaaay ! it worked ! it worked ! it worked ! it worked !

ok you get my excitment... yoo hoo !

well i didn't exactly did what you said...

i had previously selected " pop for all email" and never worked, so after i read your post, i went in, checked and it was already selected, so i thought ok, let me change it and then ill change it back to all mail... so i selected only mail receive from now... saved and logged off...restarted my iPhone and tried...just for the hell of it..and it worked.. it worked.,.. it woooooorked ! yoo hoo !

thanks

colombianito

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
OK. now i am getting greedy

can i have more than one gmail?

i don't have yahoo or anyother so i really don't have use for thos e other tabs, can i switch them to be just another gmail account, i have three in total..

Sep 21, 2007
OK. now i am getting greedy

can i have more than one gmail?

i don't have yahoo or anyother so i really don't have use for thos e other tabs, can i switch them to be just another gmail account, i have three in total..
I don't quite know what you mean. The gmail logo is just to add a gmail account. Not an actual mailbox. Maybe I'm missing something