iPhone and handsfree in your car

May 20, 2009
HELP! Can't figure out how to do this...Seems like one product does this and another product does that...So I came here looking for help :) Maybe I'm asking for too much. LOL

What I want is a product that I can get Handsfree for in my car (since our state is making it illegal to talk on cellphone without having handsfree, plus I don't want to use a bluetooth ear piece), have the phone call go through my car speakers, keep phone charged and then also use the function of the iPod with my radio controls without having to use the actual iPhone to control what I want to listen to.

Is that too much to ask for? LOL Is there such a product. I found this...it's close, but no cigar:
http://www.igearusa.com/incarhihakit1.html

Thanks for your help

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
HELP! Can't figure out how to do this...Seems like one product does this and another product does that...So I came here looking for help :) Maybe I'm asking for too much. LOL

What I want is a product that I can get Handsfree for in my car (since our state is making it illegal to talk on cellphone without having handsfree, plus I don't want to use a bluetooth ear piece), have the phone call go through my car speakers, keep phone charged and then also use the function of the iPod with my radio controls without having to use the actual iPhone to control what I want to listen to.

Is that too much to ask for? LOL Is there such a product. I found this...it's close, but no cigar:
http://www.igearusa.com/incarhihakit1.html

Thanks for your help
Unless your car is blue tooth equipped or has the system as is on the new Fords I don't think you will find an after market product to do all that you want. I suggest you go to the main forum page and do some searching. It may take a little of your time but may well be worth your while.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Here's a pic of mine. I can control the music on my iPhone with the Sony stereo deck. When a call comes in the song does a really quick fade out (1/2 second) on the music and you just slide to answer and hit speaker. Everything else is hands free. As soon as the other person hangs up (or you), your music does a really quick fade in to resume. Since it's connected with a USB cord (rather than an axillary input or FM transmitter) it has the best sound quality, charges the iPhone, and can be controlled from the deck.

May 20, 2009
Unfortunately, my 2008 doesn't have bluetooth, only thing they didn't add to a $45,000 car...GRRR I will continue to search and search, have been for hours already, whats a few more :)

Thanks for your help :cool:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Not interested in a similar setup to mine? It does all that you want (without bluetooth) with the exception of the callers voice coming through the car speakers.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Unfortunately, my 2008 doesn't have bluetooth, only thing they didn't add to a $45,000 car...GRRR I will continue to search and search, have been for hours already, whats a few more :)

Thanks for your help :cool:
What kind of car do you have? Have you looked into any OEM options to add this feature to your car?

May 20, 2009
Europa: I did see yours, my car is new and I don't' want to change out the entire stereo for this. The stereo I have is great.

Macgirl: I have a 2008 GMC Acadia. I have looked at some oem stuff, but haven't found the perfect one yet because many of them want to remove the XM Radio capabilites and if it leaves the XM Radio then it doesn't have bluetooth :(

kyleR

May 29, 2009
May 20, 2009
That is the one I've been toying with getting. Then I don't have to put out a ton of money to try it. One thing i've read about them is the move all over with the iPhone in it and that it falls over. Do you have that problem?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
That would be a cheaper alternative, but FM transmitters have lower than CD quality sound and you can't control the music from the deck.

waklee1

Apr 28, 2009
Get this

I have a blueant supertooth3 and it works great. It clips on your sun visor and the battery life is great. Loud speaker and it has built in noise cancelling. I think it cost around $100 and is easy to use.

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
I know people with the blueant and they like it a lot. Don't bother with an FM transmitter unless you live in the middle of nowhere. They are a disaster in cities. There is just too much interference for them to work properly.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I bought this one and it works great, saw it advertised on another site and there were some independent reviews on it when i googled it that made me buy it

http://www.canadadrivesafe.ca/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=4

here are the reviews i found, there may be more.

http://www.buymeaniPhone.com/2009/03/12/video-review-canada-drive-safe-hands-free-fm-transmitter/

and here:

good luck in your finds!
When the sound of the voice of the person you are talking to on the phone comes through your car speakers, doesn't it get picked up by the iPhone's microphone, causing an echo effect for the person on the other end? Know what I mean?

May 20, 2009
Yes much cheaper...it isn't exactly what I want but would work for now until I find exactly what I want :)

Jun 5, 2009
When the sound of the voice of the person you are talking to on the phone comes through your car speakers, doesn't it get picked up by the iPhone's microphone, causing an echo effect for the person on the other end? Know what I mean?
I just got mine the other day. From what I've experienced, when someone calls, the music fades out and your caller can be heard through the car speakers..hope that answers your question. Regards.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I just got mine the other day. From what I've experienced, when someone calls, the music fades out and your caller can be heard through the car speakers..hope that answers your question. Regards.
Not even close. OK, you're talking to someone over the speakers. They respond and their voice is heard throughout the car, right? And most sounds can be transmitted to the microphone on the iPhone, right? That means that the person you are talking to can hear his/her voice through the mic as it is being broadcast in the car.

robinhooddaffy

Bronze
Feb 28, 2009
Arkansas
I bought this one and it works great, saw it advertised on another site and there were some independent reviews on it when i googled it that made me buy it

http://www.canadadrivesafe.ca/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=4

here are the reviews i found, there may be more.

http://www.buymeaniPhone.com/2009/03/12/video-review-canada-drive-safe-hands-free-fm-transmitter/

and here:

good luck in your finds!

What about GSM feedback static? That seems to be the problem that I have with everything that I have tried.

May 20, 2009
Well, I just got this yesterday:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QFXDA2/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

Sending back today. Got it to work for a moment and then NOTHING. When it did work there was static going on. When I tested a call to come into it while music was going, the music faded, didn't hear it ring, just heard static. Wouldn't have known a call was coming in, only by the fade of the music.

Bummer, was hoping this would be a cheap alternative until I can afford something better.

Back to research