iPhone and iPod Classic?

How many songs and video can you typically keep on your 16GB iPhone? The reason I ask is that I am thinking of buying an iPod Classic for my wife, but we will both be getting iPhones later this year once our contracts are up, and I don't want to waste money on something that may not be necessary.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
A 16 GB iPhone should hold up to 4,000 songs (depends on song length and quality and such). I actually have an 8GB with a 160GB Classic that I use in my car and such. It offers plenty of room so you probably wouldn't have to upgrade it for quite some time.

A 16 GB iPhone should hold up to 4,000 songs (depends on song length and quality and such). I actually have an 8GB with a 160GB Classic that I use in my car and such. It offers plenty of room so you probably wouldn't have to upgrade it for quite some time.
Thanks Youngbinks!

What about video storage, especially podcasts? I was also thinking of one for myself, and I don't think I would put many movies on the iPhone (except for the Godfather if available!), but I would like to use it fairly extensively for podcasts.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
ok well lest put it in perspective
i have the 16 gig iPhone
i have just over 1000 songs and i have 4 full length movies on it (and probably about 10 podcasts which are about 45min each)
i also have quite a few apps on it (its jailbroken)
im currently using only about 9 gigs

jslappa

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Then you have a guy like me who has converted every single DVD i own to iPhone format. My wife thinks I do the same to every movie we rent to, but that's not only absurd, it's illegal! Anyway, I have about 700Gb of movies, and another 300Gb of music. For me, unless Apple comes out with a 1 terabyte ipod, I will always have to decide what to leave off my device. Now, I already know some of you will say things like "you'll never have time to listen to or watch all that crap!" or "There's no point in carrying all that with you." But I have two reasons for wanting that capability...

1. My town will not likely get 3G for years, so streaming media from my computers is out.
2. My taste for music and video varies so greatly that I want everything I own with me so that when the mood strikes, I can see of listen to anything.

I often find myself wishing I had a certain album or movie to watch, and it is often at home. So, snooping Apple upper management, how about that 1 TB iPhone now!