iPhone and iTrip

blacklabel775

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Has anybody tried to use an iTrip to transmit music with the iPhone? I did the other day and it worked, but it was harder to pull out than the charger that was included with the phone. I don't want to rip the charging slot out of my phone but I would like to leave my iPod behind when I drive to work in the morning and keep it around for those long road trips.

Also, some audio plugs I use won't fit into the phone since the jack is recessed.

Any suggestions for either of these problems?

RevRoy

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
Has anybody tried to use an iTrip to transmit music with the iPhone? I did the other day and it worked, but it was harder to pull out than the charger that was included with the phone. I don't want to rip the charging slot out of my phone but I would like to leave my iPod behind when I drive to work in the morning and keep it around for those long road trips.

Also, some audio plugs I use won't fit into the phone since the jack is recessed.

Any suggestions for either of these problems?
I have been using the itrip for the last three days. At first I did not think it worked as the display didn't come up. so I gave it up as a not compatible. but then read some where that it would work I just had to play a song to get the display to come on. now I love it.

As far as the audio plug I just took an exacto knife and trimmed the plastic and it fits now. or you can purchase an adaptor from griffin or belkin

bllzll

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
what exactly do you mean trimmed it down? U just cut off some of the plastic so the jack would fit all the way into the phone? If that works than that's awesome cause I'm dying to plug my iPhone onto my car stereo

Nov 14, 2007
I think there has been a lot of confusion online regarding the iTrip Auto and the iTrip Universal. The iTrip Universal (The one with the mini head phone plug on the end) will work with the iPhone. The iTrip Auto which only has the iPod dock connector does not work with the iPhone. I have the iTrip Auto and I can say I've tried everything to get it to work with the iPhone. Unfortunately if your purchasing an iTrip anything I'd suggest getting the iTrip Universal for maximum compatibility.

Best
-Jeff

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
i'm not sure which iTrip i have but it only has a tiny screen on it telling you which station it is on.

and as for it working, it does but not very well(for me at least). it was never really clear and also when i got a phonecall.. such a pain.

i just use my iPod and at least this way it's not such a hassle.

Nov 14, 2007

IanMac28

Nov 16, 2007
I have the one pictured too. I have had it for about 25 minutes, I thought it didn't work with my iPhone at first then read this thread, just ran out to the car and bingo, it's fine.
You need to start playing music before it will show the frequency LED.

BTW it is a little fuzzy but nearer the window it's not, obviously as the arial is out there :)

Ian Mac

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA

slgleg

Jan 16, 2009
I'm curious to know which one you have.

iTrip Auto has the iPod Dock connector (Should not work with iPhone)
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itripauto/

iTrip Universal plugs into the headphone out of the iPhone (works)
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itripautouniversal

My iTrip Auto does not work with my iPhone but some people are reporting success with it. Which one do you have?

thanks
jeff
I've just bought the universal one above (luckily it was cheap £15), but it is hopeless with my iPhone 3G the interferance is a nightmare. The £3 FM transmitter from ebay is much better.

Is there anything I can do to improve it ?

Thanks
Andy

iPhoneMonster

Bronze
Jan 18, 2009
I used to have an iTrip but we just got an X5 so we don't use it anymore because it has a USB function thing. But when we went on holiday to the US we bought a two sided headphone jack. So you put one end in the iPhone and the other car. Or we use this thing from Griffin. Works like the iTrip except it charges it and it is almost like a dock. Check it out at the Griffin website.

Loony

Nov 11, 2008
Near Birmingham UK
I'm curious to know which one you have.

iTrip Auto has the iPod Dock connector (Should not work with iPhone)
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itripauto/

iTrip Universal plugs into the headphone out of the iPhone (works)
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itripautouniversal

My iTrip Auto does not work with my iPhone but some people are reporting success with it. Which one do you have?

thanks
jeff
From Itrip Auto Website...
iTrip Auto is now available in two versions - the original iPod-only model, and a new iphone-compatible version. Just pick which one you need when you click "Buy Now."
:cool: