iPhone and Linksys router

Jun 20, 2009
HELP if you can. I got my upgraded G3S this morning as the rest of you did and have not been able to connect to my WI-FI at home. The G3 I traded this morning worked fine but the new one is asking for a password that was not asked for with the other one...

Any one alse? Or can anyone suggest...?0

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I have a D-Link Router and had problems with my WiFi not connecting when I was setting things up. I finally figured out the problem. 1.) I had to enter the WPA or WEP protection password which I used when setting up my router. 2.) I had to go into the web page of my router, usually it is http://192.168.0.1 for D-Link. Linksys will have a different IP. I had to go into my router settings on that webpage and enter the MAC address and IP address for the iPhone 3GS so that the router could recognize my iPhone device. You can locate the MAC Address on the iPhone by going to Settings -> General -> About -> WiFi Address

Kriss

Zealot
Silver
Jun 8, 2008
Cape Cod
voyager01.deviantart.com
Use Same Security Protocol

I've run across this with wireless devices and linksys routers. If you have security enabled, you must determine the type.. WEP, WPA WPA2. etc..

Personally I prefer using WPA2 and using a password that is easily remembered. Once this is done, go into your wi-fi setup page on your phone.

Even if your wi-fi shows up in the list, choose OTHER. Type your SSID correctly. (case sensitive). Click Security, Select type.. at this point, just go back to the previous page. Here you will be asked to type the password in. Just click the JOIN button, and you should connect to your network. It won't ask you to type this password again. (Which sounds like the case of your previous phone)

Hope it helps.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
call linksys technical support and get someone there to run you through the router and install the new firmware. I used to have problems with mine and then I found out that there were like 15 updates out for the router and none if them were installed. Linksys has some PC in it's blood somewhere.