iPhone and Microsoft Exchange

cybertyson

Mar 4, 2008
I think my IT guy is full of it but he told me that Apple is coming out with Corporate Email Support for Exchange connectivity on March 18th. Where he got this information is un-known. Anyone else heard this or was I right, he's full of it?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
The March 18th date is a brand new one. This Thursday - March 6th - Apple is holding a media event where they'll talk about their SDK for the iPhone and a Software Roadmap.

There is tons of speculation that they will announce greater support for Exchange and Lotus Notes. This is pretty much expected now, so your IT guy may not be that far off ...

cybertyson

Mar 4, 2008
He is under the impression that we will be able to use the connectivity on March 18th. I'm trying to explain to him that the SDK is being released in beta and we wont see any apps until Apple has approved them.

wrhutch

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Pottsboro Texas
He is under the impression that we will be able to use the connectivity on March 18th. I'm trying to explain to him that the SDK is being released in beta and we wont see any apps until Apple has approved them.
It's possible that Enterprise support will be released anytime. Keep in mind that Enterprise support and the SDK is two separate items on Apple's roadmap.

gotpancakes

Bronze
Nov 24, 2007
sorry for my ignorance. But I keep hearing this.. But WHAT THE HELL IS EXCHANGE.!? Thanks=)

Doby45

Silver
Aug 21, 2007
Powder Springs, GA
Exchange is the Microsoft Email server. Most corporations and small businessses use it for their mail delivery solution.

gotpancakes

Bronze
Nov 24, 2007
oh ok. Well that would be great.! That would def. Boost the phone out of the "toy" section and be eye wrapped to a more businesss type phone..
correct.?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Yup, for sure this is one of the key things that can help the iPhone be a whole lot more attractive for businesss users and corp. IT departments. There are other weak areas in this respect, but this one is way up the list ...

gotpancakes

Bronze
Nov 24, 2007
yay! Hit my 100th post!...
but yes point for Apple on this if it falls through

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
too little too late. Most people have found a way around this.
On offering greater Exchange support? I think lots of existing users would be well happy to be able to have Exchange via the mail client rather than just Outlook Web Access (and without having to convince IT departments to allow IMAP support), and certainly to see push email for their Exchange accounts.

This should also help bring in a lot of new iPhone customers ...