iPhone and Parallels

Jul 24, 2007
My dad just purchased a iPhone and loved it so much that he went out and bought a mac pro and 30 inch monitor. he is a professional photographer and i have beens saying that he should have been on mac for years. since he runs his entire businesss through office 2007 on windows. so naturally he bought parrellels. but what he and i did not know is that parrelles doesn't allow you to use any USB ports on the mac while XP is running. he is really pissed and thinks that b/c i use a mac i can help which i really cant. so im asking all you for your help. i am posting this in the mac and windows threads hoping that someone can help me. this might mean that he would return the phone and that means mine would go back and i reallyyy don't want that to happen. please help

cdodkin

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
SoCal
www.d30-images.com
My dad just purchased a iPhone and loved it so much that he went out and bought a mac pro and 30 inch monitor. he is a professional photographer and i have beens saying that he should have been on mac for years. since he runs his entire businesss through office 2007 on windows. so naturally he bought parrellels. but what he and i did not know is that parrelles doesn't allow you to use any USB ports on the mac while XP is running. he is really pissed and thinks that b/c i use a mac i can help which i really cant. so im asking all you for your help. i am posting this in the mac and windows threads hoping that someone can help me. this might mean that he would return the phone and that means mine would go back and i reallyyy don't want that to happen. please help
Just get him to upgrade to the latest version of Parallels - 3.0

http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/features

USB support is included in this release as stated:

Connect your favorite USB 2.0 and USB 1.1 in any OS
Shared Networking enables you to seamlessly connect your virtual machine to the Internet through any connection
Shared Devices enables you to connect all of your favorite peripheral devices to any OS

brinky

Bronze
Jul 24, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Actually in the latest version of Paralles there is an USB connection option that defines how USB devices are connected. Choices are OS X, Parallels OS or Ask every time. If this is set to OS X Parallels will never see the USB device as OS X has control. Best choice is Ask every time that way you can decide which OS get control of the USB device when you plug it in.

abohsali

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
Here is how to connect your iPhone using Parallels. I am using the version 2 and it works great. I got the instructions from this site:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/mobile-gadgeteer/?p=500

Quote: "I found the below steps from olddirtyme on the Parallels support forums and these worked perfectly to get iBacca to appear in iTunes.

SOLUTION - first attach iPhone & make sure XP instance “sees it” and is connected to it.

Click Start
Right-click on “My Computer” icon
Select “Manage”
Click “plus” sign next to “Services and Applications”
Click “Service” from that dropdown
Click on Service named “Apple Mobile Device” and select “Restart”
Click on Service named “iPod Service” and select “Restart” "

Give it a try.