iPhone and Sony Ericsson k850i - SIM Swap

binarycow

Aug 20, 2008
Hello,

I have a Sony Ericsson k850i with AT&T (Unlocked phone). I just recently got an iPhone for use as an iPod and a *backup* phone. I want to keep my Ericsson as my primary phone, and use the iPhone when my battery is low, etc.

I just purchased the iPhone from a friend who has since upgraded. When I start the phone with his old SIM card, the iPhone goes to the home screen, and pops up a dialog saying its waiting for registration. I can dismiss this no problem. When I start the iPhone WITHOUT a SIM card, the same thing occurs.

However, when I start the iPhone with MY SIM card, I get "Emergency Calls Only" and it tells me to connect to iTunes, where it prompts me to activate. I do not want to activate. Even if I cancel the activation, I still cannot use the iPhone for an iPod, or anything else.

If my battery dies on my Ericsson, I would like to be able to take the SIM card from the Ericsson, and pop it into the iPhone, and have it work as normal (without the visual voicemail, I know).

Does anyone know why this isn't working?

Thank you :D

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
If you plug it into iTunes and restore it with your SIM card in it, and then resync your info, you shouldn't have a problem with swapping SIMs.

I could be wrong but I'm not sure if you'll need to restore.

binarycow

Aug 20, 2008
The iPhone is empty.
So, plug it in, with my k850i SIM card, and restore the iPhone?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
The iPhone is empty.
So, plug it in, with my k850i SIM card, and restore the iPhone?
All you might have to do is plug it into iTunes with your SIM card in the phone, but if not you'll just have to click on restore and then set it up as a new phone.