iPhone and your Privacy ! WARNING !

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

el31415

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
Strange thing hapened to me this morning
I received a call from 847 area code never heard of that area code or received a call ( i'm on the west cost 323 area code )
so I pickup the phone and a gentleman asked me if I was Mr. ELxxxxxxx

Yes that's me ( and thinking what bill did I forget to pay or who did try to use my credit card or maybe my car got stollen since I was still in bed)

than he asked me how did I end up listed on his Apple account

wait wait what are you talking about......

to make it short
this gentlemant bought a refurbish iPhone that I had returned couples of week ago
But How do the hell and why did Apple give away my Tel and name to a total stranger
and what other information did Apple give away ?Social Security ? address ? Credit card ?!?!?!what I'm watching listening ?!? my address book ?!?!
now I'm parano !

APPLE what is in your fine print is not fine !

P.S. I didn't want to spam the forum but I could change the title of my first post

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
Just out of curiosity, when you returned the phone, did you return the SIM card too? When I exchanged my 4G for an 8G, I was told to keep my SIM card. (I also did a complete restore before returning it, just in case).

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
Strange thing hapened to me this morning
I received a call from 847 area code never heard of that area code or received a call ( i'm on the west cost 323 area code )
so I pickup the phone and a gentleman asked me if I was Mr. ELxxxxxxx

Yes that's me ( and thinking what bill did I forget to pay or who did try to use my credit card or maybe my car got stollen since I was still in bed)

than he asked me how did I end up listed on his Apple account

wait wait what are you talking about......

to make it short
this gentlemant bought a refurbish iPhone that I had returned couples of week ago
But How do the hell and why did Apple give away my Tel and name to a total stranger
and what other information did Apple give away ?Social Security ? address ? Credit card ?!?!?!what I'm watching listening ?!? my address book ?!?!
now I'm parano !

APPLE what is in your fine print is not fine !

P.S. I didn't want to spam the forum but I could change the title of my first post

Please provide more details this concerns me a great deal as I have exchanged numerous iPhones.

el31415

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
i try to make it short but here is some detail
All the private information were given away by Apple
because in my case
the iPhone was never registred
my name is not listed in the sim
and the telephone the gentleman used is a private tel
that i only use for account

I also contacted Apple regarding this matter

HELPmepLox

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
So.Cal
well for sure im assuming u bought the iPhone with a credit card then they have a record of the iPhone * its serial number down of the purchaser

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
Something's not quite adding up here... unless during the activation process (since it failed) there's a bug in either the phone or AT&T's servers to hang onto certain serial numbers associated with the phone.

What exactly does that guy mean by "account?" Which account? (eg Apple ID?) Where is your information showing up exactly? If you have a private telephone number, when (and where) did you give it out to Apple?

Would be interesting to hear Apple's take on this... sounds like pure freak acccident if this is the case.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
yeh sue Apple and spend half your income on legal fees for no benefit. And what would you sue them for? If it's money you're after, you have to quantify how much pain and suffering you've lost because some random dude has your name and phone number. (Stuff most people let publish in phone books anyway). Apple would just laugh you in the face.

They must be teaching everything but common sense in schools these days.... ;)

tupacinla

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
yeh sue Apple and spend half your income on legal fees for no benefit. And what would you sue them for? If it's money you're after, you have to quantify how much pain and suffering you've lost because some random dude has your name and phone number. (Stuff most people let publish in phone books anyway). Apple would just laugh you in the face.

There so much you can do with a name and a social security number to screw someones life over.. but like I said.. thats IF Apple released his social as well.

el31415

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
There so much you can do with a name and a social security number to screw someones life over.. but like I said.. thats IF Apple released his social as well.
Now that I'm thinking about it actually it has been in my mind all day
I real feel voilated
When a stranger call you by your name on your private phone
It's like a burglar coming in your house.
I really feel weird about all that
I'm not the kind of guy who sue I care less about that
What I'm more concerned now is what information else did they give away, and to who else

el31415

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007

My phone is unlisted and private and I can name you the few company that have it (Apple was one of them ) and never received a call by someone that I didn't know or didn't expect a phone call from
I have another Tel that I use for everything else

el31415

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007

My phone is unlisted and private and I can name you the few company that have it (Apple was one of them ) and never received a call by someone that I didn't know or didn't expect a phone call from
I have another Tel that I use for everything else

Peter000

Sep 17, 2007
I had this happen to me on the flip side... When I checked my Sprint account one day, I saw a strange phone listed. The number was totally unfamiliar, but in the same area code where the account originated. The name associated with the number was listed, but nothing else.

So I called and talked to the woman and told her the deal... that her phone was showing up on my sprint account. She had no idea what was going on... she had had that number for years.

So I called Sprint, and THEY didn't know what was going on. Mainly I wanted to make sure her minutes weren't getting charged to my account. They weren't. Within a week, the number disappeared from my account. All was better.

Anyway, there's most likely no reason to freak, it probably was a computer glitch, where your name was showing up on his ATT account. HE was probably as concerned as you are.

el31415

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
I had this happen to me on the flip side... When I checked my Sprint account one day, I saw a strange phone listed. The number was totally unfamiliar, but in the same area code where the account originated. The name associated with the number was listed, but nothing else.

So I called and talked to the woman and told her the deal... that her phone was showing up on my sprint account. She had no idea what was going on... she had had that number for years.

So I called Sprint, and THEY didn't know what was going on. Mainly I wanted to make sure her minutes weren't getting charged to my account. They weren't. Within a week, the number disappeared from my account. All was better.

Anyway, there's most likely no reason to freak, it probably was a computer glitch, where your name was showing up on his ATT account. HE was probably as concerned as you are.
"you are right he was as concerned as I was how did he end up with a new iPhone that "belong to someone else" and he was unable to activate "

I'm now sure that Apple give away the information maybe just an Apple staff member that made a mistake
I posted the same "iPhone and your Privacy ! WARNING !" on the official Apple forum
and have been contacted by Apple and they were really looking into that , received numerous phone call from Apple and I explained the situation.
They try to sell me the "you may have forgotten to erase the information on your sim or the iPhone you returned"
Then today my post was removed from the Apple forum
I received many reply of really concerned person regarding that incident

May be I tried to make my original post to short and omitted some
( and also my grammar)
explanation

FACT :
I returned an iPhone back to Apple
that iPhone has never been activated or assigned a Tel
( It was for a gift and my friend didn't want it )
so I send that phone back to Apple
and that iPhone ended being refurbish and sold by Apple to a gentleman

Correct GUESSING :
and that gentleman ended calling me cause when he tried to activated that iPhone it was still listed under my name
and Apple wouldn't activate that iPhone , they give away my name and private Tel #

So conclusion

Apple staff need some training on the privacy and information to give away

That will be all folks

As the title says this is just a WARNING

ns3425

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
wow thats so weird 847 area code is chicago ill. so the person who called u is from chicago il. thats is kinda weird.

HELPmepLox

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
So.Cal
Now that I'm thinking about it actually it has been in my mind all day
I real feel voilated
When a stranger call you by your name on your private phone
It's like a burglar coming in your house.
I really feel weird about all that
I'm not the kind of guy who sue I care less about that
What I'm more concerned now is what information else did they give away, and to who else
r u sure u not being prank'd take that one guy here in the forum not to be rude i read one of his post lmao jiggymat or something