iPhone applications delete security

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by jalalawi, Aug 21, 2014.

1. jalalawi

jalalawi Member
    Bronze

Don't you think that Apple should change the way of deleting the applications as currently it is not safe of doing that and I have experienced many time accident deletes of my application while the phone in my pocket and I am talking here about application that has data and very difficult to lose them. Why Apple not change the current method as in Android by selecting the "Uninstall' first then to choose the application to be deleted and last you have to confirm the delete.

2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I have butt dialed people before if I left my phone open in the phone app set to favorites. But I have never butt deleted an app. You would have to press on an app icon to make them wiggle, then tap the x in the corner. I've had 2 iPhones and have always carried them in my pocket. Never lost an app. I have accidentally deleted an app while using the phone with it open. You should turn your phone off (put to sleep) before putting it in your pocket. Just press the top button. Then you won't have that problem. :)

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

3. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Setting Autolock to one minute, requiring a pass code to re-open the phone and then putting the phone to sleep before putting it in your pocket will make the situation you describe virtually impossible and will make your phone and its data a lot more secure in the event someone decides to go snooping or your phone is lost.

#3 iPutz, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  4. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I butt opened pandora radio a few times to then hear music or comedians. Hehe! I've never butt uninstalled an app though.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Adriano73

Adriano73 Contributor
    Bronze

I like the way they all shake with fear. "Who's gonna get deleted?"

6. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Ha that's funny and true. :) :p

7. DDickie

DDickie New Member

Just turn off Deleting Apps in Settings, and only enable it (temporarily) when you REALLY mean to delete an App.

8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I realize it’s an old thread, but since someone else already resuscitated it, I’d like to throw in the fact that I don’t understand how you folks are butt-dialing anyone or butt-deleting anything. The iPhone’s touchscreen is of the capacitive type, so it’s supposed to respond only to human skin (or specially designed styli).

The only thing I can think of is that there’s a hole in your underwear AND another hole in the corresponding spot in your pants, shorts, kilt, or skirt AND both holes are aligned AND a portion of your actual buttocks is touching the screen through the aforementioned holes.

That sounds like a lot of conditions to be met, but I suppose it’s possible!

I just tried and managed to activate some buttons on my iPhone's screen through a thin fabric, so I suppose if your both your underwear and outerwear are made of extremely thin fabrics then you could perform butt dialing. Then again, that was using a finger. The buttocks isn’t particularly pointy (unless there are warts on it, I suppose), so I don’t think its surface is capable of the precise work needed to activate specific buttons on the touchscreen.

9. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Truthfully, I cannot recall ever butt dialing anyone or deleting apps. My iPhone is turned off, the screen that is, when it is in my front pocket.

10. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

I just put my finger under my shirt and typed this reply. Cotton style t-shirt and no hole. Wasn't easy, but was possible.

11. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I cannot believe this, I am sorry. Video proof or it didn't happen.

12. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

With me, butt-dialing is any mistake that calls someone I didn't intend to call. This is not the same as dialing the wrong number. I'm usually not dialing at all. And it happens most on the favorites screen. So I learned to keep it on the dial pad screen. That's actually a safe place.

13. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Too bad the app won't let me post a video.
    Yes I went through the trouble of actually videoing a reply

14. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

So this is the I cafe, but can't upload a video directly from an iPhone? Isn't that swell... ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1467761826.967450.jpg

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You can test this yourself if you need proof. I just tested it with cotton and polyester and it was pretty easy to type (I just couldn't see the screen very well). It didn't work well with nylon.

16. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

17. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

OMG he went through with it… LOL!! RoofMonkey is the bomb.

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The file size limitations on this forum are too small for videos (2 MB), so directly uploading them isn't allowed. You'd have to upload them elsewhere and post a link.

EDIT: Just noticed that you already did that. :)

19. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Congratulations. Originally though I thought you typed it while blind, just hand under shirt, or did you? That's why I didn't believe it.

Is video supposed to prove that you can pocket text and or call? Were you using your shirt somehow or just finger? Ok after watching it again I see a material of sorts of your finger. I understand what the previous person was saying about the screen being made for your hand and not different materials. I don't understand though how people butt dial or text etc. For one you can't do such things if your phone requires a passcode/touchID.

I was confused whether or not they typed using the material or finger under shirt. Ok after watching it again I see a material of sorts on their finger. I suppose it is possible using different clothing materials, it just needs to be pressed a little more. How do people butt dial someone though? "You" would have to go to contacts, press contact then call, all with phone in pocket.

#19 MoneyMaker79, Jul 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It can happen if you don't lock the phone before putting it in the pocket. I know the solution is to just lock it first, but some people aren't in the habit of doing this.