iPhone Apps (stock and 3rd party) stop working after botched data restore

h.s

Oct 14, 2008
Hi everybody,

I'm experiencing some weird problems with my jailbroken 3G (latest FW 2.1):

My actual status and the reason for this post is as follows:
- iPhone appears to boot normally
- SSHing works
- I can accept calls (although the call window closes immediately, see below).
- Homescreen is as it was before the backup, except for changed sequence of icons, lost Winterboard theme and lost Five-Icons-Dock. Categories are present, though.
Here comes the problem:
- None (!) of the apps works - neither stock apps nor third party ones. Whenever I try to start one, it just comes up for a second and closes again; I return right back to Homescreen, then.

The story behind it:
I had made a backup of all my data with iBaRes before restoring a fresh jailbroken Firmware. When I tried to restore the backup, I suffered some severe problems - the iPhone wouldn't start at all and was stuck in a boot loop, plus assorted different problems. Eventually, I overcame those with the help of the iBaRes developer, who helped me via e-mail (my best guess is that iBaRes didn't like that I had changed my root / mobile passwords away from "alpine").

The last major problem (that I solved) was that after booting, the homescreen icons kept flying inwards onto their positions from the outside in an endless loop (just like when you quit an app). I adjusted the permissions via SSH as follows:

chown -R root *
for /Applications

chown -R mobile *
for /var/mobile

chmod -R 755 *
for both

This stopped the icons from flying - but now I'm stuck with a homescreen without any working apps... I strongly suspect this to be a permission issue, so any help is welcome, esp. re the standard permissions / owners / groups of the various folder structures...

Thanks,
hs

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Delete your backup in iTunes and resync, allowing for a full backup. This exact same thing happened to my wife's V1 the other day, and this solved it.

h.s

Oct 14, 2008
Delete your backup in iTunes and resync, allowing for a full backup. This exact same thing happened to my wife's V1 the other day, and this solved it.
Sounded strange enough to work - unfortunately it didn't ;-)

Thanks, though!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I would get your data backed up in some fashion (syncing, SSH), then restore as a new phone and rejailbreak. It sounds like you've gotten yourself into a mess, permissions-wise, and you're best off starting over at this point.

h.s

Oct 14, 2008
I would get your data backed up in some fashion (syncing, SSH), then restore as a new phone and rejailbreak. It sounds like you've gotten yourself into a mess, permissions-wise, and you're best off starting over at this point.
Yup, did that. But your idea re the iTunes backups has some merit: First, I made a fresh restore with my customized (jailbroken) FW 2.1; everything fine so far. Then I tried to restore an iTunes backup - but the sync deleted not only my 3rd party apps (including Cydia and Installer) but also some of the stock apps. Spooky!

I didn't have time to find out whether only the icons were gone or the whole apps. Just made another custom FW restore and synced only after deleting the iTunes backups. Seems to be some voodoo in them.