iPhone as a remote

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

tray

Jul 1, 2007
milwaukee, wi
everymoment.org
so i realize that the iPhone should never be "lowered" to just a "remote" for your computer.. but it's pretty cool and works pretty nice for an alpha program. :)

but this program you install on your mac.. it's conveniently called iPhone remote... and it allows you to control your computer via a password protected safari window. you can see your files... control your iTunes... take a picture with isight... or even see your desktop (and navigate.. opening, closing programs, etc) rendered right on your iPhone screen! it's pretty amazing.. and just for a fun experiment, last night i wanted to see what my 30 inch monitor would look like in 3.5 inch glory...

behold... it worked

:)

nickingrao

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Central CA
Awesome! I stumbled on to that application last night as well and it is really amazing. I tried it today from my office (out side my home network where my MAC is) and it was still peppy and responsive as if I were on the network. Terrific for accessing documents and music :D.

I highly recommend you use WIFI with this service, EDGE would be a PAIN!

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Question

How do I install iPhone remote and where? Is it a joke? What are the steps to make it work?

tray

Jul 1, 2007
milwaukee, wi
everymoment.org
check out the website for it for full instructions... but basically you install the program on your mac... and then you access a website (actually your computer's ip address) with your iPhone. it works pretty slick. right now i'm using my iPhone to control my iTunes on my other computer :)

nickingrao

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Central CA
check out the website for it for full instructions... but basically you install the program on your mac... and then you access a website (actually your computer's ip address) with your iPhone. it works pretty slick. right now i'm using my iPhone to control my iTunes on my other computer :)
That pretty much sum's it up.

*Install .dmg
*Access MAC's IP (prob something like 192.168.0.xxx

VIOLA!

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
More ?'s

Does anybody know if it its compatible with Airport? Are there any configuration issue on the iPhone/mac that are not described on the website and need to be addressed? Are some networks incompatible (I'm trying this using airport linked itself to my hospital network. I wonder if security makes it impossible to connect.)