iPhone as iPod in my car

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

shabby

Aug 29, 2007
OK, help. I want to play the iPhone like an ipod in my car. My car stereo has neither an ipod jack nor a tape deck (I have heard both of these will allow the ipod part of the iPhone to play). Any other suggestions?

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
OK, help. I want to play the iPhone like an ipod in my car. My car stereo has neither an ipod jack nor a tape deck (I have heard both of these will allow the ipod part of the iPhone to play). Any other suggestions?
What kind of radio is it? If it is the factory radio, most have a jack on the back for a cd changer that you can get an adapter to hook your iPhone to it.

I do this in my car, but it does not send the video to the HU like it will with my wifes video iPod.

Kinda sucks since I have 9 tv's in my car.

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW
I am not sure if kensington has released a FM transmitter for iPhone. The good thing about this is that some dudes out there have released a free tool that finds that top 5 unused frequencies in your town/city. So its gonna be easier for you to search for frequencies.

You can always ask your car dealer to connect the iPhone to the car. However, this is freakin expensive and it runs around $300-$400 for installation.

skinsgamer

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
My friend had an fm transmitter in his truck and my iPhone worked fine on it. I have an alpine stereo in my car with the iPod hookup in the glove box and my iPhone works GREAT! When a call comes in the song fades out and a ring tone fades in. I can use every feature while its connected except the ipod part. Its awesome.

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
I got an adapter from the radio mfr (Becker) directly that goes from the cd changer input on the back to 2 RCA jacks. Then got a really nice Belkin adapter cord to go from the RCA jacks to an iPhone compatible headphone jack. Happy with it as others mentioned cause I don't miss a call when the musics cranked cause it fades out.

DoubleD

Bronze
Aug 31, 2007
New Orleans
My friend had an fm transmitter in his truck and my iPhone worked fine on it. I have an alpine stereo in my car with the iPod hookup in the glove box and my iPhone works GREAT! When a call comes in the song fades out and a ring tone fades in. I can use every feature while its connected except the ipod part. Its awesome.
When you have is hooked up to the car stereo does the callers voice come over the car speakers?
I have a Mazda 6 with an iPod integration kit that has a standard iPod plug on the end that I just plug in the ipod and can also control the ipod via the steering wheel controls. But taking calls would also be sweet if the callers voice came over my car speakers and the mic on the iPhone would be used for my voice.
LMK if it works this way or not?

ahaxton

Aug 5, 2007
When you have is hooked up to the car stereo does the callers voice come over the car speakers?
I have a Mazda 6 with an iPod integration kit that has a standard iPod plug on the end that I just plug in the ipod and can also control the ipod via the steering wheel controls. But taking calls would also be sweet if the callers voice came over my car speakers and the mic on the iPhone would be used for my voice.
LMK if it works this way or not?
It does, but you are going to have to use a bluetooth headset for talking to the person on your speakers, otherwise you'll have MAJOR echos of voices.