iPhone at the border

Bitewound

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
Biteyland NYC
I will be in Niagara Falls (Canadian side)for 2 days at the end of the month. I've read all the threads about traveling with the iPhone and all the extra expenses you can incur while roaming. Has anyone ever been near the Border? Where does it officially become Rodgers instead of AT&T? Is there an overlap of services? Should i just take my SIM out and put it into another phone or will just turning off Data roaming be enough. I can't afford an outrageous bill ;) and i need to have a phone with me. Any Advice appreciated.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
You should be perfectly fine with turning Data Roaming off. I've done it before and I've yet to incur any sort of data overage charges. You will likely incur voice charges though if you use the voice part of the phone while on the Rogers network. I'm not quite sure how much that would be so you might want to contact AT&T and ask them. It will likely be under $1 a minute but I am not sure of the definite amount.

Bitewound

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
Biteyland NYC
Thanks Philip, they do have an AT&T Canada plan for $4.99 that would give me reduced rate of .59⊄ for calls. I'm just afraid of using WIFI -i just don't trust AT&T

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
"Where does it officially become Rodgers instead of AT&T?"
You'll see it at the top. It will say Rogers instead of AT&T next to the signal strength.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Thanks Styfle , i meant geographically ;)
Well I know you did but what I'm saying is, as far as your phone cares, it doesn't matter. It just depends on what network you connect to.

Bitewound

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
Biteyland NYC
True :D it will be interesting to see what network i'm on depending on where i am in Niagara.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I'm in Ohio, and we went to lake Erie near Canada and my AT&T turned into Rodgers when I was there, so I was still in Ohio when it happened.

Woody1776

Bronze
Feb 26, 2008
DFW
When I went to Niagara a few years ago It didn't change over to Rodgers until I was across the bridge. Hope you have a good trip. I'll be up there at the end of July. Maid of the Mist, here I come.

May 6, 2007
United States
I'm not sure there's really a set place you can pinpoint as to where the service is going to switch. It'll probably vary pretty greatly based on where you are and the signal strength, etc.

I would turn off data roaming and that should be good enough. That's all I've ever done. Unless you're going to be making a ton of calls, I wouldn't worry too much.

Have a good time!

Bitewound

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
Biteyland NYC
I'm not going to be making a ton of calls but I will probably get a lot of texts. I think I'll just bring my old Moto and pop the sim in that once it switches over to Rodgers - I just hate all other phones now- two days without this - I'll go through withdrawals - I was without it last night and wasn't a very happy camper LOL

susiemw

Jun 23, 2009
I'm in Ohio, and we went to lake Erie near Canada and my AT&T turned into Rodgers when I was there, so I was still in Ohio when it happened.

I'm in washington and when i'm traveling near the northwest shore, i'll get text messages (while I"m in WASHINGTON) from ATT about international rates.
And I'll occasionally see that my phone is on Rodgers and not on ATT.

I keep wanting to call and tell them that washington is the USA and that Canada is across the water.

susan

Bitewound

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
Biteyland NYC
UPDATE
When i crossed the border my service didn't change from AT&T to Rodgers immediately . Went to my hotel and it was still on AT&T. I was skeptical so i dialed 611 for clarification. I was told as long as it said AT&T i was safe. I was still skeptical and made them note my record lol and called again the next day same response and made them note my record again.
Then i used data and IF i went more than a mile from the Falls it switched to Rodgers and i shut my phone off.
I called AT&T when i returned home and they swear i have not used any international data. My Bill will be the final verdict.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
UPDATE
When i crossed the border my service didn't change from AT&T to Rodgers immediately . Went to my hotel and it was still on AT&T. I was skeptical so i dialed 611 for clarification. I was told as long as it said AT&T i was safe. I was still skeptical and made them note my record lol and called again the next day same response and made them note my record again.
Then i used data and IF i went more than a mile from the Falls it switched to Rodgers and i shut my phone off.
I called AT&T when i returned home and they swear i have not used any international data. My Bill will be the final verdict.
Let us know how it all turns out. Mark