iPhone Audio Died

tomasw

Aug 2, 2007
Just an FYI, have had my iPhone only about a month and the audio died today, I could use my headset and get audio, I could use the bluetooth and get audio and the speakerphone worked however. I could not hear through the iPhone speaker in normal phone mode. YouTube videos and music would not play through it, I tried a soft reset, a hard reset and then a full restore, nothing helped. Called Apple support and they sent me to the store to send it back "to be fixed"-- I asked the techie at the store about it and he would only say it was not the first one with this problem. So, they were out of loaners so I am using an old unlocked Razr I keep for when I am out of the country until they get me my iPhone back. How many loaners do they have I wonder to have them all out? Is this a bad sign of things to come.

Let me say I was not happy with the Customer service experience overall. I have been using Apple products since 1976 (Apple II-still have it and it still works)--the attitude of Customer service on this matter was pretty much "sucks to be you"--when I pay $600 for a phone, I expect it to work! Just having a B**** at this point, they have promised me a repair / replacement in 3 days--however I am SOL on my Invisible Shield. So, thats $35 I have flushed and Apple just shrugs off my loss. I am glad to see Apple regaining market share but the customer service experience needs some work!

Anyone else have this problem with their iPhone audio dying?

GeoBau

Jul 14, 2007
Some people will notice that after plugging in a headset and then removing it, the standard audio speaker doesn't work for phone calls/ipod. It WILL work, however, on speakerphone.

The solution is simple: Plug in and remove the headset into the jack 2-3 times, and the audio comes back. I don't know why it does it, but take it for what it is.

G

tomasw

Aug 2, 2007
I tried the plug in and out thing, I also ran into another thread where somebody was complaining the audio did not work after syncing his blue tooth...none of those solutions worked. In both of those cases a hard reset fixed the problem, no luck with me. Odd. Well this will let me see how long it takes Apple to get it back to me anyways...

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
I posted a ***** about this too not long ago. The exact same thing happened to me, though in a slightly different manner. I suddenly lost use of the speaker for movies and iPod use. So I read on the forums to do the little "in out" trick and that should clear it up. What it did for me was knock out my receiver, so the only way I could get sound out of it was with headphones.

I went to the Apple store here in Salt Lake City and the customer service guy was mostly the same. I was a little pissed as I had the device a little under 4 weeks and my wife and I were leaving for a 2 week trip to Alaska 2 days after my stop in there. I was offered a loaner while my unit was sent out, for 30$ (which this is what pissed me off the most of it all, that takes balls right there). We started to get thing rolling, I had him dropping that 30$ charge, then I got lucky that my phone would not be back in time for me to leave on the trip, which for them creates a major problem.

The manager at the store said that my phone will be delivery attempted, and once it is not successful the phone will go back and I might not ever see the phone again. So they did a "rare" thing (as they put it) and did an exchange outside of the 14 day window.

I did end up with a new phone, that seems to be fine (3+ weeks now), but so far this is the aspect of the phone that concerns me the most. I just don't see the phone lasting through my 2 year contract even with babying it.

totalsportsnut

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Eugene, Oregon
That is what happened to my second iPhone. First one the touch screen quit working, second one the volume stopped working. Now i'm waiting for #3 to arrive. All this in one months time. Nope, im not a happy camper!

tomasw

Aug 2, 2007
Interesting. So this problem may be more widespread. You would think Apple would be more proactive on this, but to give them a little wiggle room, it has not been on the market long. Still sounds like the Audio is more of a software issue that the hardware. Hope I don't end up with more problems after they "fix it".

prolix21

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
my iPhone just did this today. the plug/unplug fixed it... however, now i get live with the paranoid of knocking out my speaker everytime i use headphones

hope they fix this. kind of seems like a software issue, with the auto-swapping of the signals between headset/speaker in ipod mode

on top of this my mac pro is now acting up. really loving Apple today! :)

r00t4rd3d

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
happen to me also.

plugged the headphones in and out like 15 times , works again.

Aug 17, 2007
Same thing!

Mine just did the same thing...

Oh boy, there's gonna be hell to pay for this, people.

>.<

Aug 17, 2007
Fixed! (?)

12 plug-unplugs did the trick, but for how long?

Grrrr...

sjb03008

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Just an FYI, have had my iPhone only about a month and the audio died today, I could use my headset and get audio, I could use the bluetooth and get audio and the speakerphone worked however. I could not hear through the iPhone speaker in normal phone mode. YouTube videos and music would not play through it, I tried a soft reset, a hard reset and then a full restore, nothing helped. Called Apple support and they sent me to the store to send it back "to be fixed"-- I asked the techie at the store about it and he would only say it was not the first one with this problem. So, they were out of loaners so I am using an old unlocked Razr I keep for when I am out of the country until they get me my iPhone back. How many loaners do they have I wonder to have them all out? Is this a bad sign of things to come.

Let me say I was not happy with the Customer service experience overall. I have been using Apple products since 1976 (Apple II-still have it and it still works)--the attitude of Customer service on this matter was pretty much "sucks to be you"--when I pay $600 for a phone, I expect it to work! Just having a B**** at this point, they have promised me a repair / replacement in 3 days--however I am SOL on my Invisible Shield. So, thats $35 I have flushed and Apple just shrugs off my loss. I am glad to see Apple regaining market share but the customer service experience needs some work!

exact same thing happened to me and I swapped it for free at an Apple store

RchGrav

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
Mine did this once also, it was weird though, iPod wouldn't play through the speakers but ringtones would. I was pretty sure it wasn't a speaker problem because of this fact. Full reset didn't help although messing with plugging and unplugging the headset fixed it for me too. I'm chalking it up to a bug. Not something I would consider trading my current iPhone for. I went through a few so far, and I am very happy with the one I have now. I wouldn't chance getting another stinker!

Good luck!

tomasw

Aug 2, 2007
UPDATE:
True to their word, my replacement iPhone (new) arrived on Wed the third businesss day. I am hosed out of my invisible shield however and customer service with Apple has let me know that they really don't care-no compensation, no coupon, no credit NOTHING. So, I guess this worked out OK but only a "B-" for Apple customer service. Now, I have the 8GB model, I wonder do the others having this problem have the 4 or the 8GB? Just curious if it makes a difference in the problems people are having.

hcaudill

Jul 31, 2007
Same problem, but intermittent

I just started having this same problem. I had owned my iPhone for a couple of weeks before ever using the plug-in headphones, and after I used them is when I started having the problem - don't know if there's a connection or not.

Sometimes when I try to use the phone, the regular phone audio (and also the bluetooth audio) don't work, but the speaker does. I can switch to speaker, but it occasionally goes back to regular iPhone audio all by itself.

I've tried all of the tricks listed above (power cycle, plug in/out of dock, plug headphones in and out) and it always eventually starts working again, but it's not clear which if any of these tricks is actually solving the problem.

tomasw

Aug 2, 2007
HELLO! APPLE! HELLO!
You have a problem here---fix it....
Like talking to my cat ......a bit of a blank stare....

hcaudill

Jul 31, 2007
I talked to Apple support yesterday - they had me do a reset (hold down power and home button, ignore "swipe to power off", wait until you see Apple logo). I haven't had the problem since then, but then I went for a couple of weeks without experiencing it the first time, so who knows.

mobilehavoc

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
Happened to me once, what is happening is that for whatever reason the iPhone thinks the headset is still plugged in even when in some cases it isn't. When the headset is plugged in, it sends all audio (sounds, iPod, clicks,etc) through the headset and mutes the speaker.

So by plugging and unplugging you're essentially trying to get it to recognize that the headset was unplugged and to route all audio through the speaker again.

I only had to do it once to get mine back. Don't do it too much since that can't be good for the headphone jack. Just put it in once with a little extra pressure. start the iPod app and play music through headphones, while the iPod is playing music pull out the headphones. The iPod music should pause and the iPhone will know your headphones are no longer plugged in.

Suppy7

Jun 29, 2007

Hey Man I didn't read the whole post, but this EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME, besides doing the replug in of headphones and unplugging, all it is, is dirt or something is in the plug, just blow into the jack like an old NES cart, it's worked for me like a charm a couple of times now

Also just to add - blowing into the jack is the only thing that worked for me, resetting didn't work, restoring didn't work, nothing! it was the fact that it physically thought the headphones were plugged in still due to dirt or something. Mind you I don't have a case of any sort on my iPhone.