iPhone Audio Output

cdodkin

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
SoCal
www.d30-images.com
Just saw this nice little teaser in the online manual for the iPhone BT headset.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/iPhone_Bluetooth_Headset_UserGuide.pdf

Looks like the included dock allows you to plug up the iPhone (in it's dock) to your home stereo etc etc

Use the Dock to Play Music Through
External Speakers

Connect speakers with an audio cable that has a
standard 3.5 millimeter stereo miniplug to the Line Out
port on the back of the dock. Then connect iPhone and
play music to hear it through the speakers.
I hadn't seen that before - so then I look at my 'free' dock that came with the phone - and that has the same feature!

I guess in my rush on iDay, I never noticed!

Just thought I'd point this out for the other blind as a bat, RTFM challenged folks out there like me :laugh2:

Off to Radio Shack for a suitable cable!

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Just saw this nice little teaser in the online manual for the iPhone BT headset.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/iPhone_Bluetooth_Headset_UserGuide.pdf

Looks like the included dock allows you to plug up the iPhone (in it's dock) to your home stereo etc etc

I hadn't seen that before - so then I look at my 'free' dock that came with the phone - and that has the same feature!

I guess in my rush on iDay, I never noticed!

Just thought I'd point this out for the other blind as a bat, RTFM challenged folks out there like me :laugh2:

Off to Radio Shack for a suitable cable!

Yeah, and on top of that, you don't have to have the dock plugged into the computer via USB for it to work.
In other words, if you had a 2nd iPod cable, you could just hook the dock up near your stereo, with a mini-jack to composite cable, and you'd be good to go. :)

You could use the 2nd iPod cable for charging/syncing.

RchGrav

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
Yeah, and on top of that, you don't have to have the dock plugged into the computer via USB for it to work.
In other words, if you had a 2nd iPod cable, you could just hook the dock up near your stereo, with a mini-jack to composite cable, and you'd be good to go. :)

You could use the 2nd iPod cable for charging/syncing.
Yeah, and on top of that, on top of that....

It seems that when the iPhone is plugged into the dock it cuts back the GSM feedback noises and effectively filters them out. Atleast as far as I noticed. I was thinking about keeping the dock in my car, hooked to an FM transmitter to broadcast my iPhone audio into my car stereo.

Also another thing to remember about the audio out that is present on the dock.. The volume controls don't effect this particular output, it's volume level is locked to something like a pre-amp line out level, so whatever you plus it into will need to have it own volume control. I was almost thinking that this would be an effective means to get around the recessed jack on the iPhone, but the lack of volume control sorta inhibits it from being used with headphones.

But yeah, the dock is excellent for using a line out from the iPhone.

Bluesy1

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Southern CA
I already posted on the dock output feature. I plug my laptop JBL speakers into the dock jack and play my iPhone through them. It works great until your phone starts sending signals and you get the lovely buzzing interference.