iPhone back to $599 after Jan. 31?

MiamiCane

Jun 27, 2007
Miami, FL
I just got back from my local AT&T store and was looking at the iPhone. The guy working there told me that he just got a memo from AT&T corporate this past weekend that said they were going to raise the price of the iPhone back to $599 after Jan 31st. He said it was because it has been selling better than they expected. Has anyone else heard anything about this? If it's true I think that this is a big mistake by Apple and AT&T.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
I can see it now...

Steve is center stage. He's announced a new super thin sexy laptop, the SDK for the iPhone, shown us Google's new updates for the iPhone and he's saved the best for last...

Steve: "Now that's some really terrific stuff, don't you think? Just incredible. <enthusiastic applause> Well, you've seen the banner's out front of Moscone center saying 'Something's in the Air' and you're wondering what it is. All the blogger got it wrong, sorry guys. What's in the air is a stinky move on my part. I'm raising the price of the iPhone back to $599 just because I'm shopping for a new yacht. <audible gasps from the audience> I can promise you it's going to be really huge. One that's going to shame our friend Bill. I know you're with me on this. We really have to stick it to Bill this time and this is really gonna hurt him." <standing ovation>

Yeah right.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Unless they're talking about an entirely new iPhone that's to be released January 31st, which the AT&T employee would have absolutely no idea about, then there is no way this is happening.

Colin

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
I just got back from my local AT&T store and was looking at the iPhone. The guy working there told me that he just got a memo from AT&T corporate this past weekend that said they were going to raise the price of the iPhone back to $599 after Jan 31st. He said it was because it has been selling better than they expected. Has anyone else heard anything about this? If it's true I think that this is a big mistake by Apple and AT&T.
I seriously doubt this. And people say that car salesmen (I sell Acuras) are slime! I"ve had some of the worse experiences with cellular salesmen and their carriers lying to me face than any other recurring purchase. amazing.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
This will happen, but it's the 16 GB iPhone, and it's $499 not $599. ;)

--
Mike

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
yes i hope that is true...... want the 16 gig im going to need all that gig for all the apps im going to get with SDK out..

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
Oh yes. I gotta go with the Tinman on this. That would def open a few eyes!

Scottshotz

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
would anyone else kinda be pissed though? I bought an iPhone once. I don't wanna have to buy a better one but I'll feel like now I got the half-assed version. Would more memory mean the Internet would crash less? I dunno how that works.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
no the memory/capacity has noting to do with the web crashing, this just means that we can fit more on it, not sure that im mad, that is the way that it goes, anyway Apple is well known for this, i mean making things better when they just released them....

mad_vtak

Bronze
Dec 21, 2007
yes i don't think that will happen. Gen 2 will be a while.

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
IF they announce more capacity, I will be disappointed if they don't offer a 32GB. I still won't whip out my checkbook for it until Apple or a 3rd party develops a file management system for it, but I'll be ready if/when that happens...

Still, to the OP, remember, we (people who care enough about this device to watch it's progress on sites like this) know more than 99% of the employees who sell them. Seriously. Most of them will readily tell you that. They normally aren't given information about what's coming until the boxes arrive with the product inside.

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
would anyone else kinda be pissed though? I bought an iPhone once. I don't wanna have to buy a better one but I'll feel like now I got the half-assed version. Would more memory mean the Internet would crash less? I dunno how that works.
I may be one in a million but I don't use all of the 8gb that I already have. I would not be interested at all in "upgrading" to more memory :)

ballsonface12

Bronze
Oct 31, 2007
Seattle
Obviously that guy wanted you to buy an iPhone right then and there. People will say anything to sell stuff.

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
The biggest surprise to me would be the introduction of a new model(s) that only incorporated more memory. I feel sure (well, not certain) it would bring more to the table than that. Until recently, I haven't had more than about 2.5GB of data on my phone, but I've added a bunch of video podcasts, so now I'm up to close to 7GB.

Guess we'll find out what's "in the air" soon...

KeKe

Bronze
Dec 26, 2007
well I haven't used more than 7gb and I wouldn't upgrade for more memory wleither because so far 8gb is enough for me. I think it would be stupid to bring the price back to 599

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY

--
Mike
If I were a betting man, that's where I put my money.

$399 - 8GB
$499 - 16GB

It doesn't upset the "apple-cart" and expands the options. Apple had a similar structure with the 4GB and 8GB, but no one bought the 4GB. I think perhaps this new combination will be the sweet spot for Apple. We'll see soon enough...

Dec 28, 2007
A worker at an AT&T store told me the same thing about the price going back up in February. This happened back a little bit before Christmas.

akaremo44

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007

I actually saw the paper at an ATT store over the weekend, the guy showed it to me. It said that there will be a 16 GB phone and I do believe the price was going to be $499. He also showed me an update coming out that said 1.3 on the paper but I think this was a mistake should have been 1.1.3 but we can always hope.

Matt Random

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
Technology isn't going to sit still. A new iPhone will eventually come out. I wouldn't be surprised to see the current model released with more memory before the next generation model comes out. There is a Touch w/ 16GB so it seems like a no-brainer that a 16GB iPhone will come out.

I still have a little over a gig left on my 8GB. I have everything I need to keep me busy on a round trip international flight. I don't forsee needing a lot of space for apps. I didn't find much of anything useful when I had my phone jail broken.