iPhone Backup Extraction

Sep 14, 2008
I've been having issues with applications on my phone, so I restored to factory default and then synced everything back. One thing I forgot though, was to copy off my camera-roll before I wiped clean.

"Although iTunes backs up most of your iPhone and iPod touch settings, downloaded applications, and other information (Contacts, calendars, notes, images in the Camera Roll), your audio, video, and photo content are not included in the backup."

iTunes made a backup before I restored to factory default settings. Would that backup happen to hold my camera-roll photos (and if so, is there a way to recover them... or dig around/recover anything in the iTunes backup), or am I out of luck? If they are there, is there a program that can easily extract out those contents - specifically, my camera-roll pics?

FYI, I'm running WinXP. Thanks.

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
im pretty sure your pics should have went right back after you restored. the back up should have had them saved and you shouldnt need to do anything extra to get them back just restore from the backup. when i switched from the first iPhone to the iPhone 3g i even had my photos back.

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
I agree with Ace, just make sure you restore from a backup and not the "restore as new" option

Sep 14, 2008
There was something intrinsically wrong residing in the configuration (which the backup retained). When I updated to 2.0.2, it had crashed during the installation. From then on, any backup that I restored from had the app-error in syncing and updating. Only when I started form scratch (and not use a restored backup) did everything seem to jive.

I didn't realize that I didn't copy over my camera-roll until after I had essentially manually configured my phone back to the way it was before after applying the factory settings.

What this being the case (where I do not want to actually restore the backup unto my phone), is there a way I can extract the files out from the folder within windows?

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
There was something intrinsically wrong residing in the configuration (which the backup retained). Meaning that when I have previously restored from backups, my problem with apps persisted. Only when I started form scratch (and not use a restored backup) did everything seem to jive.

I didn't realize until after I had essentially manually configured my phone back to the way it was before that I didn't copy over my camera-roll.

What this being the case (where I do not want to actually restore the backup unto my phone), is there a way I can extract the files out from the folder within windows?
alright from what i understand you wanted to start from scratch because every other time u restored from backups you still had problems. but you still want your photos back. but since you already finnaly got your phone back to normal it would be a hassle re restoring. i don't think there is any other way to get your photos other than trying this. restore from backup so you get your photos back then this time save all the photos onto your computer and then do another restore to factory settings and put the photos back on manually

it may take a while to do but i think this is your best bet

Sep 14, 2008
I've been contemplating doing this. The problem is that I can't be certain applying that backup (which obviously contained some sort of corruption) wouldn't carry over to my iPhone even after I went back and applied my current (working) backup... that it would essentially permanently transfer whatever corruption there was back onto my iPhone.

I'm pretty surprised that if photos are contained within that backup folder iTunes makes, that there isn't any simple way to extract them out. There are many .mdbackup files (the largest is 5mb - maybe that is the one that houses the pictures). Though, to be honest, I could swear I had more than 10 pictures (which would be about 500kB per picture x 10 = 5megs).

Sep 14, 2008
http://www.losingfight.com/blog/2008/08/14/how-to-get-application-data-from-the-iphone/

Looks like there might be a way. Only thing is, I have no idea how to do what they're talking about here, and I don't have a mac (to use terminal, run the python script).

I know next to nothing about programming and things of this sort. Is there any chance somebody might be able to explain how I could use/run this script on windows to recover the files.