iPhone Backup Folder Size?

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by Kadelic, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Seemingly all of a sudden my Windows XP machine with the latest version of iTunes was running out of hard drive space. Last time I checked a couple weeks ago I had at least ten gigs free. I haven't been downloading any large files or installed any new software for some time so I'm sort of confused what is consuming this space. I first got the low disc space warning after I had restored my iPhone 4 32gig from 4.1 back to 4.0.1 successfuly and was restoring from backup. It wouldn't let me restore from backup because of this. I freed enough memory to do the restore and it showed I had just over 1 gig free. After work this morning I synced my phone and all of a sudden I was out of memory again!

After digging around a bit I found that my Application Data>Apple Computer>Mobile Sync>Backup folder was 32 gigs! That can't be right, can it? I did hit a few speed bumps when I was going through the whole restore back to 4.0.1 (long story) and had to start over a few times, as it were. When restoring from backup I was offered several different restore options, even some from my old 3G. I'm copying that 32 gig backup file to my external and then I'll erase it and re-backup my phone and see what happens.

Does anyone know how big the average backup file should be or have any idea what might be going on?

2. Ahmed Elsayed

Ahmed Elsayed New Member

Same issue here with a Windows 7 laptop syncing with a 16GB 3Gs and a 32GB iPod Touch V4. Aneone figure this out yet? Machine has an 80 GB drive...

3. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

My last backup on my 32gb iPhone 4 was only 6.5gb and I only have 4gb unused on the phone.

4. phop5

phop5 Member
    Bronze